Is this a "fighting tentacle"

zygote2k

Every so often, the frogspawn throws out this tentacle as if it's searching for something to sting or maybe even a place to lay down a new colony. Way back in the day there was an article in Reef Frontiers magazine about Fighting Tentacles. Is this what it is?

gallery_2631654_582_687486.jpg

^yep.

Usually set off by chemicals in the water to let the colony know there is another coral nearby. Running carbon helps minimize this.

I would say no, not a sweeper or fighting tentacle. IME with bubble corals, euphylia, and galaxia, the sweepers are typically different in appearance from the normal tentacle. That said, I'm not an expert with hammer, frogspawn, and torch corals so it very well could be. I would say that it's just an elongated tentacle that got caught up in the water column and stretched. This may just be semantics, however, as essentially that's what a sweeper tentacle is - a tentacle that has gotten caught up in the water flow and is stretching out and stinging whatever it comes into contact with to fight off the competition.

My frogspawns did that a lot when I had them .... part of the reason I got stung constantly even if I wasn't touching them. I kind of miss them, but everytime I start feeling that way, I remember the stings.