ACRYLIC TANK HELP!!

LanglandJoshua

I came home from work just a few minutes ago, and found a small peice of acrylic hanging into my tank!!!!ohmy.gif I believe it was just a support for the center brace, to avoid sagging over time. I want to make sure my tank is SAFE! I just got a MP40ES, and have it on reef crest mode. But I have NO real waves coming from this. The current alternates, but no standing waves. Just turbulent flow throughout the tank. Here are some pics of the tank and acrylic. If need be I will get another tank/stand....and its gonna stink!! I just got this in AUGUST!!!!!!sad.gif

The center brace.

2011-10-29103608.jpg

The peice of acrylic that came off, it was attatched directly under the center brace and each side.blink.gif

2011-10-29103515.jpg

I have already had a tank seal bust once! I am worried about another...thanks for any help. I think I may get another tank anyways...just to be safe...

Is it an acrylic tank or is it a glass tank with an acrylic brace? Looked like there was trim on the top and I don't know of many acrylic tanks that use that. That will help to diagnose the issues. FYI, I thought that Sam's tank was made by Glass Cages.

Its a custom acrylic tank. That peice seems to be an axtra brace to support the center brace. After looking at it again it was held in place by some double sided tape. So I don't think its that structural. But the thought of ANYTHING coming off is disturbing. So I am looking into another tank. If I get another tank, this would become a sump. I would add baffles and use them for extra support. But the idea of redoing EVERYTHING again is just frustrating.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - not sure why anything would be held on with double sided tape, but it clearly wasn't ever a support piece, potentially just something added on to support a divider? I know Sam had a few different things that he separated at various times, why not ask him?

Because I can't send him a PM and if its just a small aftermarket then I've had my question answered. Honestly seeing anything come off kind made me panic a bit. So I will just leave it be. It seems fine, the acrylic support was under no stress. I've checked every inch of the tank. But the idea of upgrading like that is great for making me greatful for WHAT I HAVE! :laugh:

Though I already looked at the dimensions, it would have been about 230 gallons.

The tank was built by NAGA, I'd suggest getting ahold of him before making any decisions. His tanks are typically very well built/overbuilt and this one was no exception so honestly, I wouldn't worry. Worst case scenario, you just use weldon to put that piece back in place. Let me know what I can do as well! Is there something wrong with my pm? Or why couldn't you pm me?

Josh

After returning your email last night and hearing back from you saying you were going to call me today I never heard from you. From what I can tell it was something that was taped on and not bonded on. I'd like to make sure so call me.

Ill work on the pm box

Thanks for the immediate response NAGA. With my work hours sometimes its hard to call at decent hours. I am sorry I could not call today. I also agree it is nothing major. When I pulled the piece off I also had to pull off a thick paper tape. The next time I MAY be able to call will be between 6-7pm tomorrow. Right after work and before I get to halloween work.

Again thanks for the help everyone. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would panic a bit if they saw something that important and huge seeming to fall apart. Other than some minor and few bubbles in the bonds. It looks perfectly fine. The bubbles were in there when I got it. But I had this idea of the MP40ES causing it to rip apart, flooding the basement on wood floors, and killing all my livestock. Of course as I was making the post in the back of the basement office the sump pump for the house emptied lots of water into the back sink. Thoroughly terrifying me for a moment... :wacko: I am grateful it was not worse! :happy:

But now I am kinda wishing I could set up the mega tank... Total system volume would have been about 330, 230 DT and a 100 sump.