$700 dollar mistake in DD

Chad

I just saw these guys and they are awesome! Gonna put a pic of the regal on my tank thread. She's looking great and already swimming around and exploring.

I actually think this worked out as well as it really could have. Sure there are some issues that will need to be worked out in the long term... but we all have those. Kudos to DFS for honoring the deal, and kudos to lostanime for picking them up. I watch DD every day. Who knows when something will pop up that I have always wanted that I will have to figure out what to do with on short notice. I don't fault that at all.

I actually think this worked out as well as it really could have. Sure there are some issues that will need to be worked out in the long term... but we all have those. Kudos to DFS for honoring the deal, and kudos to lostanime for picking them up. I watch DD every day. Who knows when something will pop up that I have always wanted that I will have to figure out what to do with on short notice. I don't fault that at all.

There is a titan triggerfish....

Hah!

I remember an article that I read about triggers sometime in the early 90s where there was a picture of an adult titan trigger with the "lips" pulled back exposing the teeth... that picture has stuck in my mind for all these years as something that I never wanted to decide to be used to take a chunk out of my arm!! In 20+ years of keeping saltwater tanks... I have never kept a trigger because of that!

I'm glad you gave us an update. You clarified a lot. I was wondering how it all turned out. Don't take what was said personally. I don't know you from Adam. The way it was presented and the way everything read had me thinking "Oh boy, another reefer biting off more than he can chew...". Something I'm sure you've seen as many times as I. I was especially concerned when I read pond in the garage in Richmond. I know how cold it gets.

You didn't have to come on here and explain anything, but you did, and that was very decent of you. It is honorable. And you did without being defensive. Thank you for that. Congratulations! I wish you the best of luck.

Please come back and post pictures. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see what the sharks look like, what you've created for them in your basement as well as how they're doing. They are beautiful. For you, apparently meant to be.... or they wouldn't be with you. :) A sign from Neptune!

name='lostanime' date='26 October 2011 - 07:21 PM' timestamp='1319671271' post='385435']

This was actually a big issue for us, especially when we first moved two 180gal systems side-by-side in our garage. Your absolutely right, Richmond winters get COLD! Fortunately, our garage is also half underground and insulated. As of last winter we still had two 180gal tanks side-by-side in our garage (we traded one of our 180s to a member of our local club for corals this spring)... and to be perfectly honest, the winters weren't the hardest part, the summers with 1600w of lighting was a bit painful on the electrical bill due to the amount of additional electricity we were burning keeping it cool. Thankfully, we won't be running anywhere near that kind of light over a shark pond (which will be the only water down there long-term)

Scott Michael's literature on these sharks documents that they grow up to 2"/yearly... these little pups shouldn't quickly dwarf their current holding tank. The female won't be large enough to be sexually mature for another 6 years. If it takes us a 3 months to finish the pond, the sharks could end growing a sluggish 0.5". This seems VERY slow to me, but these are exceptionally lethargic as far as elasmobranches go, and despite consuming relatively large chunks of food, they don't eat nearly as frequently as hyperactive "big" fish like tangs do! Our last hippo tang (which reached about a ft long) would swallow multiple cubes of frozen food before ripping through sheets of greens every day.. !

These definitely were an impulse buy in the sense that I was not planning on buying a shark (or two!) that night. I've been looking forward to keeping epaulettes for a very long time, but did not expect them yet.

For a bit of background with this - I've been talking with wife for months about purchasing an epaulette from one of the LFS that has had them in stock. We had not moved forward on purchasing it, because we had also custom ordered an acrylic aquarium and a new deltec APF800 over a half-year ago, and the store (which also exclusively handles all Deltec warranty and repair work) has not been able to address getting this skimmer to cut on when it's plugged in since day one, and the tank is already having some crazing and milky issues in the seams. I'll spare this thread all the details of these problems, but we wanted to make sure we weren't throwing good money after bad with this particular store.

As far as the kid situation is concerned, that is why we can't keep these in the house long-term... with a toddler and infant, we can't do a pond in the house...it has to be in the garage. I'm just not 100% comfortable that we can keep kids out of a pond if it's in the house... but the garage is below the house and locked off, they have never been down there. :) Not sure where a moon-bounce reference came from... but don't give my wife that idea, we'll run out of room for tanks :)

Hah!

I remember an article that I read about triggers sometime in the early 90s where there was a picture of an adult titan trigger with the "lips" pulled back exposing the teeth... that picture has stuck in my mind for all these years as something that I never wanted to decide to be used to take a chunk out of my arm!! In 20+ years of keeping saltwater tanks... I have never kept a trigger because of that!

To add to your nightmares on the Titan I remembered this video of titan attacking some divers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWrXleLz9bk

I wonder how much damage those guys do to the corals a reef.

To add to your nightmares on the Titan I remembered this video of titan attacking some divers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWrXleLz9bk

I remember this video and was laughing at the guy along with the camera guy. :) This one is a really cool trigger video too but probably wasn't a smart idea on the guys part.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HWrXleLz9bk

*shudder!!! unsure.gif

• 1 year later...

Yeah, David took down most of his setups after a baby was on the way if I recall. Not sure where the sharks went. I briefly entertained getting them but then decided that staying married was probably a better idea.

I briefly entertained getting them but then decided that staying married was probably a better idea.

It's the oppisite for me. She wants the sharks and rays and I'm pushing back. :rolleyes: