who drills aquariums

sydney

i need my hex aquarium drilled for overflows. Who does it

I'll be looking for someone shortly as well!

I also need to find someone who can help me turn a 20g long into a sump with baffles.

Beer/Cash/Frags available! :)

the answer is: YOU.

Time to pop that cherry!

Go down to the liquor store and get a beverage of choice, arm yourself with a drill and hole saw, and git-r-dun.

you are such a bad influence lol

I drilled a tank before and it went well. but i just tired to drill a 29gal and it shattered.

Did it break into a few pieces or a million pieces? Just wondering if it was tempered. I've always had very good luck drilling everything except 10 gallons. Those have been a bit hit or miss.

Edited by Jim

the answer is: YOU.

Time to pop that cherry!

Go down to the liquor store and get a beverage of choice, arm yourself with a drill and hole saw, and git-r-dun.

Aww yes! The good ole' combo of alcohol, glass and power tools! laugh.gif

I gotta remember this is a family site....

Go slow, dont push hard, and use lots of lubricates

Drilling your own tank is pretty easy, it can be nerve racking but its fun to DIY. Best advice is to go slow, and let the drill and the bit go all the work. You dont have to push on the drill at all, just let the weight of the drill press down on the glass. I recommend making a template when you start, I always have trouble keep the bit in place. Be careful when you get close to cutting all the way through, The first tank I drilled I broke because I let the drill slip in the hole and cracked the glass.

We did a tank drilling demo at one of the frag fests a few years ago and several people got to try their hand at it for the first time. All of them commented how easy it actually was and none of them cracked the glass. As folks have noted above, the key is to let the drill do the work and do not rush the process. I'd also suggest using a new bit the first time or two. Used/dull bits require a lot more patience and increase the likelihood of breaking the glass. You might also consider dropping by a glass shop and getting a scrap piece of glass or two to practice on before drilling your first tank.

It's easy to drill a tank - even I do it. So you should have someone demonstrate to you, then drill yours yourself. I drilled two holes in one of the panels in one of my hexes. I really enjoy drilling glass.

Hexes are wide enough that you can lay it on the drilling surface and drill the glass from inside of the tank - that is what I did, and it was a LOT easier than drilling an unsupported glass surface. Just do it with a board and a towel under the tank (the towel is to soak up the water that will otherwise end up on your flooring).

I drilled a tank before and it went well. but i just tired to drill a 29gal and it shattered.

Some 29s are tempered and some are not. I have a drilled one that a past member drilled on the end and on the bottom. Well, I got another one (used), thought I could drill it because the other was not tempered.... *POP*!

Well tank wasn't tempered. Came out good. And did yall no lowes sell 3/4 diamond bits with a guide bit in the middle

How much did you pay for it? Congratulations on drilling the tank successfully!