125 Gallon Build

Vadim

Just recently moved to Arlington. I bought my 125 gallon tank and stand couple months ago maybe even longer. But finally i can work on getting my 125 Gallon up and enjoy it.

i didn't start taking pictures till i installed new flooring where the tank will be. With the stand, i had to sand it down to the wood. Then i had to install new brace underneath the stand because there was water damage.

I stained the stand a couple coats, then i did a couple coats of clear coat that protects from water damage. I did about 2 stain coats and 3 clear coats. So the pictures below are of the new flooring. More pictures to come soon. hopefully i'll have the tank going within the next 2 weeks. Mean while my 75 gallon is still in my old place me going there every other day to feed the fish is a pain.

In this first picture I took off the shoe molding, and ripped up the carpet. Then i cleaned the concrete, and spread a latex adhesive. It'll bond better with the linoleum flooring from what i was told.

IMG_1562.JPG

In this second picture is where i laid the linoleum flooring, i didn't finish the corners yet. It's amazing how the walls aren't straight. sux.

IMG_1564.JPG

In the third picture, i moved the stand over to the area where i just laid the flooring down. This will keep the flooring from coming up.

IMG_1566.JPG

Fourth picture, just shows the front of the stand. I didn't finish the inside of the stand yet. I needed to get the sump from Naga before i closed the bottom of the stand. But inside the stand i am only going to put on the clear coat to protect the wood from moisture. I did sand it, have to sand it a bit more and ready for the clear coat to go on. Probably do about 3 coats.

IMG_1568.JPG

This last picture is just here doesn't show anything different. But more pictures to come within the next couple days.

Open for suggestions/opinions.

IMG_1567.JPG

Thanks and Enjoy.

lol Langland I was about to input a statement saying "how do you guys like my 125 tank on top of the stand?" i'd wonder how many people do a double take at the picture.

I've been wondering for awhile if anyone uses particular flooring or paint on the walls where the fish tank is located? Are there such products out there, that are specifically made to resist the moisture/salt? I know we can purchase linoleum flooring and just wipe it or plastic paneling on the walls and just wipe them down. But that doesn't always make it eye appealing to every home owner.

So these last couple of days have been beautiful outside, so i've had the chance to do more work on my stand. On monday i put on a clear coat inside the stand, tuesday i put on another clear coat inside the stand, and i bought myself a new toy. A circular saw. I needed this bad boy, can't go wrong with a milwaukee. I cut a piece of plywood that would fit as a brace at the bottom of my stand. When i bought the plywood from home depot i gave them the dimensions, got home and it didn't quite fit in. So now it fits and i gave that piece of plywood a bath of clear coat. On thursday or friday i am hoping to put my tank on the stand, so i can fill it with water and make sure it can still handle the water and there aren't any leaks. Of course the tank will be outside. Only thing is i need a couple of people to help me out. Anyone? :) I live in Arlington and it would most likely take about 20 minutes or else. beer will be provided and dinner if anyone will be willing to stay.

major fail, i tried putting the bottom brace. The way i wanted to install is screwing in screws at an angle. Wow did that fail. Problem is i don't have the necessary tools to do it correctly and the screw heads are to big for the width of the wood. Plan B is going out and buying joint plates. That's the only thing i can think of, unless anyone has suggestions?

well finally secured the plywood to the stand. used the t plates or joint t plates. looking good. i'll take some more pictures tomorrow. Just need to figure out how to get the tank on top of the stand to check for any leaks.

Call Piedmont Plastics and ask if they carry high density polyethylene (HDPE) sheets or scraps. I seem to recall being there once and seeing some on the shelf. It was a while ago, though.

so quick update. got the tank on to the stand. filled it with water just now. so far so good. not sure if i'll keep it full of water till tomorrow night or sunday. any recommendations?

External add complication. But : add power, add versatility, and DON'T waste tank space! Yes most add heat, but check out reeflow. Mine is quiet, and add's little heat.

My vote-EXTERNAL!

Yet I will have am internal soon...for my waves...unless someone knows of a switch that can be controlled by an RKE! (if you do, please PM. No thread jacking!) I want the variability and control that the MP40ES offers.

As far as internal or external goes, there are many factors to consider:

Sump space

Cabinet space

Noise level

Water leakage potential

Desired flow characteristics

Bulkhead and pipe size

Cost of pump and associated fittings

Thanks, right now it wouldn't cost me to go either way. I have 2 mag 12 pumps that are internal. I also have 2 iwaki external pumps.

I think your pretty safe either way. External pumps are more risky because if they fail you could drain the tank. But if your connections are good they are pretty safe. If a sumbersible pump fails you don't lose much.

Ok, made my decision. It's going to be internal pumps. I need a new impeller for my mag 12 though. hopefully lfs carry some parts. i need to start on my plumbing really want to go with flexible hoses. But i think the problem is when i bought the tank the plumbing was cut at the thickest part of the pipe. not sure if i can get a flexible hose to fit the thickest part of the pipe and just use something like a clip but that sounds like it'll have so much back pressure.

Another issue I have with submersible is if the electronics are in the tank there is a chance of it leaking electricity. Although rare, it does happen. The longer you intend to keep the pump the more likely it is. The reeflow dart is great because it uses a shaft and airspace to keep its electronics and heat away from the water as much as possible.

reeflow dart is way too much pump for a 125. A mag 12 will be more than enough. I'll bet the return is 3/4" and the drain is 1". Lets see how much of that Mag 12 is even getting through the pipes...