Tanked,

quazi

A number of things to think about here:

1. It is TV, they cut a lot of the setup stuff. We are not seeing all the prep. It is like things are magically happening. Welcome to the magic box!

2. These people (home or business owners) do not maintain their own tanks. They have someone doing this, and they are paying several hundreds a month for performance (ie: healthy fish=the experience they are paying for)

3. These people are NOT going to accept dead fish. They WILL call the "fish guy" (Rob?) and demand he removes the fish. So, the worry about dead fish with these tanks are way overblown.

4. Tension is the name of the tune in reality TV. Lots of over blown stuff, over acting, and other made for TV stuff. This is TV after all.

these guys cater to rich people with expendable income. i doubt we will see tanks left and right with regular people like us.

Agree. The people buying these systems are not in the 'hobby'. I believe the tanks will have professional service contract on them. No 'mods' or looking for group buys by these people. So far these tanks have been fish only too. Which means they can treat the entire tank with meds if necessary.

Just remember...its a TV show set in Vegas! Not lets build a sump with baffles and plexiglass from Home Depot.

its a show, enjoy the scripted dialog and the bad "acting" that comes with it, and of course, enjoy seeing the big tanks that we can only dream of. dont put too much thoughts into that there are issues with keeping tanks...

I guess I would just say "aaahh, what I expected." Seeing the previews, it seemed like OCC alot, so it was pretty much scripted the same. Unbelievably played up for tv. I think the shark tank stuff was an excuse to put the girl in the bikini top and have everyone look at her "after-market" parts.

I don't think they are as dumb as we think they are. BTW at the beginning of the show. there was a tank in the office - reef, coralline encrusted, a "reefers" tank! I'd like to hit up some of the reefer's in the vegas club and get their opinion on that operation. Haven't seen what anyone on other boards have said.

BTW, did anyone catch the rep at the LA importer? Justin Grabel - real name of Justin Credible, MACNA speaker and former WAMAS speaker! Too funny! Remember Incognito Sofa Love. He ain't stupid either...

I guess I would just say "aaahh, what I expected." Seeing the previews, it seemed like OCC alot, so it was pretty much scripted the same. Unbelievably played up for tv. I think the shark tank stuff was an excuse to put the girl in the bikini top and have everyone look at her "after-market" parts.

"Aftermarket parts" - ROTFLAMO!

I don't think they are as dumb as we think they are. BTW at the beginning of the show. there was a tank in the office - reef, coralline encrusted, a "reefers" tank! I'd like to hit up some of the reefer's in the vegas club and get their opinion on that operation. Haven't seen what anyone on other boards have said.

They aren't dumb, it's the other side of the "business". Yep, the fish will die routinely - replacement is either part of the monthly maintenance contract or part of the service call bill. And from the customers perspective it's cheapest part of the operation. Take the mob theme tank.............

$5K+ for the tank

$5K - 10K for the equipment

$5k - 10k for the install

$1K for fish

The fish look cheap in the overall bill. So the maintenance contract is several hundred a month - plenty of room for fish replacement. These ain't hobby tanks, more akin to living artwork, display - owners just want a display, don't much care about the fish.

I found "largest builder"..................yeah, okay, sure, I'll bet others would disagree. It is sad it's shown on animal planet.

I don't know if it's in response to the travesty on Animal Planet or not, but it's a nice to see someone who's got the the money for a huge tank, do things the right way.

<cough cough> tap water <cough cough> ice machine <cough cough> old leather shoes

<drooool>

"....So I hope this gives you an idea of how to setup a saltwater tank, the RIGHT way...."

I feel like they put the tank in, add hose water, salt, and fish on the same day.......On one of the shows, I actually saw one of the damsels go into shock and die when they added it into the tank.

I doubt it's hose water. More likely premixed saltwater from a tank in their vehicle.

With the Mob tank they said all they had access to was a hot water line in the hotel. Thats why they dumped ice in it, neither of which was RO/DI water.

I thought the same thing, that they must have a tanker truck full of premade saltwater, but didnt look that way, atleast on that tank..

The show is hard to watch because of how we veiw this as a hobby, and we like the natural reef tank. Most of those people dont know nor do they really care.. I like watching the show, but it is frustrating for the obvious reasons.

If you want a good tank reality show, watch "LA fishguy" on Youtube. Much more down to earth and pretty nice set-ups too.

I subscribe to only two channels on YouTube: One is of a friend and former marine living in Okinawa who posts videos of his dive club, and the second is LA Fishguy's channel.

So far 3 episode's not impressed. The drama is killing me, I could relate to the last episode when they were at dinner. The one guy couldn't stop staring at the tank. Kinda funny.

I feel like they put the tank in, add hose water, salt, and fish on the same day.......On one of the shows, I actually saw one of the damsels go into shock and die when they added it into the tank.

I saw that, the phone booth tank - dropped straight to the bottom = no acclimation, shock.

• 2 weeks later...