New FTS

Chad

I needed a FTS so I could mark it up with "before" PAR readings for my in-the-works LED upgrade, so I figured I would post one. I am still not great at getting these, but I am learning how to use the camera a little bit better (thanks, Jon, for the how-to articles!). Many of my acans have doubled or more in size in a year... they do great in my system!

Enjoy

gallery_2632346_867_651673.jpg

Thanks all :)

are the ponies camera shy?

haha, no, they are in the picture, but it is a long exposure picture and they were moving around... so if you look closely you can see their blurs here or there :) There is one on the bottom left, the white one from my avatar and one in the right gorgonian, others are there too, it is odd how the photo looks fishless! (I didn't notice that before).

Thanks all!

I suppose you're going to tell us you have a puffer fish in there too.

:ph34r:...

How big is this system Chad? BTW, I wish my Acans grew that fast. jealous!!! tongue.gif

There is about 150 gallons of total water with the refugiums, but the pictured DT is around 60. All of the acans on the rocks started as 1-2 head frags.

Nice eye, I was wondering if anyone was going to comment on that.

I am actually not positive what it is, I was nearly positive that it was a balanophylia until it sprouted a baby, now I am sure it is not a balanophylia (they are solitary) but I am not sure what it is.

It is not photosynthetic, mostly clear although it does have some black/grey coloring around the mouth and base (the blue is from my actinics), and the skeleton is oval shaped. Ideas?

I picked it up from Petland about 6 months ago in the $10 frag section when it was in relatively poor shape. It is an easy spot for me to feed (that is why I put it there), but not a good spot to take pictures of. Whenever I shut the flow off (like I do when I feed), it spreads its tentacles widely like that looking for lunch :)

Nice to see an example of a seahorse tank with some corals in it. We're thinking about someday converting Maureen's RSM (the one we don't even own yet!) into a seahorse tank someday when we're more seahorse-saavy, but still want to have some corals too.

Jon, shoot away with any questions you may have (or come up with).

In general, though, if you set it up as a seahorse tank, then always keep it in the the forefront that it is a seahorse tank first and do other things with that in mind, you will be fine. If you haven't seen it already, this is a good tankmate compatibility guide for both other fish (I keep a diamond goby with them to keep the thin layer of fine gravel I have clean) and corals. And a while back, I detailed my preferred seahorse setup here, I noticed that the picture links aren't working anymore... I will fix that tonight.

I'd love to see a close up.

Nice eye, I was wondering if anyone was going to comment on that.

I am actually not positive what it is, I was nearly positive that it was a balanophylia until it sprouted a baby, now I am sure it is not a balanophylia (they are solitary) but I am not sure what it is.

It is not photosynthetic, mostly clear although it does have some black/grey coloring around the mouth and base (the blue is from my actinics), and the skeleton is oval shaped. Ideas?

I picked it up from Petland about 6 months ago in the $10 frag section when it was in relatively poor shape. It is an easy spot for me to feed (that is why I put it there), but not a good spot to take pictures of. Whenever I shut the flow off (like I do when I feed), it spreads its tentacles widely like that looking for lunch :)

gallery_2632346_778_96670.jpg

Submitter: Chad

Camera Used: D5000

Subject: A $10 find at petland, I think it is a balanophylia but I am not positive.

Chad had this pic up back in the POTM for March. Looks much bigger now.

Thanks for the link, Steve, I was going to go find that picture and post it :)

I probably ought to set something up and move it for a bit to get a really nice picture of it... it is actually pretty tough to get a good composure at it since the mouth isn't at a good viewing angle for the camera.

Here is a better picture, on the lower left of the main skeleton you can see the tiny baby that has sprouted (I also used this for this month's POTM submission) :biggrin::

gallery_2632346_867_18476.jpg

Anyone have any ideas what it is?

So a few folks over at reef central and some of my own research... I am going back with a balanophyllia on that coral (although it could also be a Paracyathus stearnsii, since it looks a bit like that). I guess I will continue to call in a balano.

And, I know it is summer and a slower time for reefing, but, man, it has been slow around here recently!