Aqua Illumination SOL LED Lighting

Reefoholic

Hey,

I know we have many LED knowledgeable people on the forum (some of them sound so advanced that I think they are talking in code or something). So here comes my question:

I have been debating whether to invest in an Aqua Illumination LED fixture for my beloved 20 gal tank. Some of the reasons that I am considering switching to LED lighting are:

1) Easier to maintain. NO bulb changes or anything for a while...

2) LEDs do not heat up as much as my MH and T5s so better temp control of my tank.

3) Savings from my electricity bill. Since I setup my tank with MHs and T5s my electricity bill is almost double what it used to be.

4) Proper simulation of day/night for my corals and the fishes.

5) Adjustable light intensity. If/When I upgrade to a bigger tank I can always bring my LEDs along.

So far these are the pro-s I could think of. I am really debating whether to pay that much for aquarium lighting but at the same time given the MH replacement cost and the running cost for all the lights, I am already gonna be spending almost $500 in 4-5 months.

I am also concerned that the new LED lighting might burn out my corals... I am getting good growth and coloration right now and I wouldn't want to mess with it!

Guys, I am in a pickle here! Please help! My tank is a standard rec. 20 gal. I was thinking of buying a 12" SOL Super Blue Modular. I am only gonna get the unit since I read that my RKL can control it.

What is everyone's experience like with these LEDs? What would you recommend I should do?

Thanks a lot! blush.gif

I've thought about the same thing. However, on a 20, the standard AI sol is a lot of light, at least from what Bill (Oldreefer) has seen. You'd probably be better served with a nano unit, which decreases the portability. Your tank is doing really well right now and will fill up quickly, at which point you'll do the inevitable upgrade :) May want to wait for that point to change your lights...plus the LED fixtures are dropping in price and getting better in performance very , very quickly right now. I'm willing to bet that what's available in 1 year is going to blow away what's available now in terms of price and performance.

Well said Roni. That's another reason that I am hesitant as well. Technology is advancing rapidly. I was thinking I could get a 12" fixtures which is upgradable "allegedly". So down the road, I would only need to buy another one if I upgrade to a 125 g which is my goal size right now...

I have one. I really like it. It doesn't come close to brightness as my MH on another tank but I love the color and the fact that I can dialed in the intensity. I didn't compare the PAR values though but the tank that I have the AI on is mostly LPS and my two magnifica anemones. They seem to like it a lot.

12" might be an overkill for your 20G but if you ever plan to upgrade the tank in the future, I would invest in the 12". You can always set the intensity at 50-70%.

I would buy again. It is indeed pricey but I am very happy with it.

Check with overklok, I think he has one too.

I work on a tank that has 3, and another tank that has the 12" over a 45. They are nice and bright, super compact, and controllable. The only complaint that I have with them is the mounting kits. The flushmount kit looks good, but the modules burn out because of the heat from proper lack of air circulation. 2 out of 3 have died due to overheating.

I work on a tank that has 3, and another tank that has the 12" over a 45. They are nice and bright, super compact, and controllable. The only complaint that I have with them is the mounting kits. The flushmount kit looks good, but the modules burn out because of the heat from proper lack of air circulation. 2 out of 3 have died due to overheating.

I wouldn't want them to die on me but I have a nice fan that I can implement with it. I am stuck on the PAr values that luan67 mentioned. I thought people switched to these things because they had better PAR values and many threads on many forums people praise AI for making their SPS grow and glow with nice coloration.

Any more feedback?

The only way lighting for a 20g double your power bill is if you didn't have house lighting before. More likely is that it is your ac starting up causing the price difference. Running the lights you have can't cost more than a couple bucks a month.

Plus, at the rate you've been running through equipment, you'll never see those long term savings from bulb changes because you'll be on to something else. And that's assuming your led fixture lasts. Most do not seem to be lasting near as long as they claim.

Just run what you have on that tank. If and when you do a different tank and have a good reason to be looking at a new lighting system, see what's available then.

(edited)

i have modules, they work great!!! I have the sol blue, I even upgraded to the latest generation. That is one of the great thing about the AI's. The upgrade path is proven. I have never had an issue with overheating but I don't have them in an enclosure. I think the hanging rack looks fine. I don't have to use a chiller. Watch out because they are powerful, I don't know anyone who is running at one hundred percent. I am maxed out on 80 percent for blues and 60 percent on white. One module will be perfect for a 20 gallon.

Hey Chad,

How did PADI go? I am getting some scopalamine from the doctor for motion sickness, hopefully that will fix me.

Edited by overklok

I have 5 Sol Blues over my 150. They are lots of fun, make tons of PAR, and have no heat effect on the tank at all. I have all sorts of fancy profiles set up on my Apex. The downside is that the color is not as nice IMHO as with broader spectrum lights. I added a few strips of Neutral White LEDs to the AI fixture and it made a big difference.

I have had a few corals go brown and a few bleached when I started with too much PAR. Things are settling back in. I like the LEDs for lots of reasons, but to be honest the best lighting for an SPS tank I have ever seen was XM 10K moguls with VHO Actinics. That gave insane color in growth, all the back in 2004.

HAPPY 4th of JULY!!!

I have 5 Sol Blues over my 150. They are lots of fun, make tons of PAR, and have no heat effect on the tank at all. I have all sorts of fancy profiles set up on my Apex. The downside is that the color is not as nice IMHO as with broader spectrum lights. I added a few strips of Neutral White LEDs to the AI fixture and it made a big difference.

I have had a few corals go brown and a few bleached when I started with too much PAR. Things are settling back in. I like the LEDs for lots of reasons, but to be honest the best lighting for an SPS tank I have ever seen was XM 10K moguls with VHO Actinics. That gave insane color in growth, all the back in 2004.

I got some huge frags of the browned-purple slimer from you. I saw your fixture with the AIs installed and I really like the colors to be honest. That made me think that I should transition to LEDs as well. Some SPS was bleached back then (like pink bird's nest) in your tank but I am thinking of starting with very low PAR and acclimating the corals in time. I think I can get away with only one AI fixture for now and add more as I upgrade. Also, I think AI units will be easier to transport if/when I have to move...

I am happy with my own DIY fixture but I don't think I designed it too well. Cos I have cables hanging everywhere inside and outside of the fixture and my canopy heats a lot during the day...

I wanted to take advantage of the deals going on right now. For example, I can get the 12" AI fixture for almost $450 on aquacave with the 4th of July deal of 10% off.

ideas?

Hey Chad,

How did PADI go? I am getting some scopalamine from the doctor for motion sickness, hopefully that will fix me.

It went well... it was cold, but that was expected. Glad to be done, now I'm looking for a dive destination. I hope the meds help!

Ordered a 12" SOL Blue with the RKL ALC module, all for $550 last night. Can't wait to get my hands on it!!! How can I mount it over my tank tho? How did you guys do it?

Unfortunately AI unit is on backorder. After a quick conversation with the very helpful sales rep at aquacave, I realized I have couple more weeks to receive my new toy. oh well, c'est la vie!

Overhang suggestions are still welcome btw. Since I don't have a canopy to mount it on, I am considering hanging it off the ceiling.

Been running a 4 module ai unit for 3 years. It started as a gen 1 unit but converted all 4 modules to sol blue about 6 months ago.