Getting Started In Virginia

zoltarblue

We moved up here four years ago from Florida where I had a large 175 gallon reef tank. We did not bring it with us unfourtunatley and both the kids and I miss the hobby. I am looking for some advice for a good local store that can provide me with a new tank and setup. Have no clue where to begin so I joined WAMAS hoping you all could help me. I want to go with something between 100-175 gallons I think. Please help me. Thanks

Welcome! You'll find that there is an LFS Map link at the top of the website page. Depending on what you're looking for, there's lots of stuff in the FS forum. Finally, you can edityour profile to display your location...WAMASers are spread all throughout VA, DC, and MD, and some folks farther away than that chime in from time to time.

Jon

Thanks for the showing me the link. I live in Manassas. I am looking to build another large reef tank like we had in Florida with fish and corals. The kids loved the clown fish and the anemones. So I guess I am looking to build a tank that can support all types of coral.

I live in nokesville. BRK is just down the road from you and the owner John is a good guy. The store is always full of nice things.

Hey Zoltarblue...welcome to the WAMAS boards. Similar story here. Relocated here from Florida for work 3 years ago. I kept a 180 there which I also left behind. I'd promised myself I wasn't gonna go big again, but this hobby has a way of callin ya back and I'm already up to a 120. If there's anything I can do to help you get started again, I'll be happy to help though we're not that close. There are plenty of members down your way that will help point you in the right direction. BTW..gators or noles?

i live in manassas as well.

bkr is a great place with a great selections of frags and colonies and really know what they are talking about. though the prices are a little high.

aquatic obsession is also a good store with great prices. but unfortunately they have no idea what they are talking about most of the time. :P

You may also want to consider paying the joining fee and pick up another members tank who's leaving the hobby or who is up grading, at a crazy discount.

Welcome to WAMAS

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Guess first thing I got to answer is I am a die hard Noles fan. I am going to join the membership as well. I guess my biggest issue is I am not very mechanical. Need a computer or something like that I can build ya one in a heartbeat, but building and setting up the tank that is my biggest issue. I can do all the aquascaping and take care of it, its the setup part I am lost at might as well ask me to change the oil in my care same disaster lol. Thats why I am looking for somewhere/ or someone to buy off that can set it up for me and get it started. I'll need a full set up though lights stand canopy pumps etc. I am enjoying the area up here so far everyone seems nice. I am a JointVenture Partner for Panera Bread. My store is the one in Gainesville VA if any one is ever in the neighborhood stop in and say hello. Keep the input and help coming I appreciate it.

One of the most helpful things for you will be to add your location to your profile info, this will tell people how close they are to you and whether or not they can easiely lend you a hand, it will make browsing the forsale section super easy as it displays the location where people have things for sale.

Google Red Sea Max 500 which is due out this year sometime. It's an all in one tank that wouldn't require much technical dabbling. I have the 250 and it's been great. Welcome to WAMAS.

I would like to thank all the members for all the pm's I have recieved. I am going to look at stratos tank he has for sell this week so I will keep everyone informed thanks agin for the loverolleyes.gif