Blue spot jawfish

squiddly

Hi guys. I hope you're having a great weekend. I was thinking about a nice blue spot jawfish for my aquapod 24 that currently has zoas, a BTA and 2 clowns. It has about 1.5 inches of sand. Is there anything I need to know about adding a jawfish? Thanks!

They love to go carpet surfing so a lid/screen is a must. Make sure the rock work is secure as they can create avalanches when they are digging. My jawfish were always very territorial when other fish came close to the burrow. That might be an issue in a small tank if the clowns get too close. What type of clowns do you have?

They love to go carpet surfing so a lid/screen is a must. Make sure the rock work is secure as they can create avalanches when they are digging. My jawfish were always very territorial when other fish came close to the burrow. That might be an issue in a small tank if the clowns get too close. What type of clowns do you have?

A pair of aquacultured false perculas. They seem pretty happy, but they haven't hosted the BTA yet. Not sure if they ever will, which is ok.

I'll have to think about covering the tank. It's currently open. The rock work isn't completely secure so I may have to rethink my idea. Hubby wanted a flame angel but I don't want it eating my feather dusters and zoas. I only want to add one or two small fish at most, then concentrate on my zoas and easy corals

Taping a picture up to the glass of a clown hosting in one helped mine. My female was in it the night I put it up.

make sure there is plenty of food available in the sand for it to eat. these fish have been known to starve to death. You can put eggcrate on the bottom of the tank, then put your rock down, then put the sand in. This will prevent rockslides from digging fish.

Taping a picture up to the glass of a clown hosting in one helped mine. My female was in it the night I put it up.

That's amazing!

make sure there is plenty of food available in the sand for it to eat. these fish have been known to starve to death. You can put eggcrate on the bottom of the tank, then put your rock down, then put the sand in. This will prevent rockslides from digging fish.

Thank you. I would hate for that to happen. Great idea on the eggcrate. I'd have to redo the whole tank though, disrupting everyone already in there. Perhaps I should rethink the idea.

Mexicanjavafish/Tina had a flame angel in her 75 gallon with two feather dusters and around 8 different kinds of zoos and the angel never touched them. If your clowns have an anem to go to, a jawfish and clows would be fine in the same tank IMO

Easiest way I found to get my clowns to host (never tried the pic method, I like that) was to not feed the tank for a few days, and then feed mysis right over the anems, the other fish stayed away the clowns went for the mysis, bumped the anem and found they liked it

Easiest way I found to get my clowns to host (never tried the pic method, I like that) was to not feed the tank for a few days, and then feed mysis right over the anems, the other fish stayed away the clowns went for the mysis, bumped the anem and found they liked it

That's a really cool idea! that might be something cool to do!

Rob, are you talking about BSJs? They don't eat sand. I think you may be confusing them with sand sifting gobies or maybe you were referring to sinking pellets?

IME, BSJs like the food to be floating around in the water column. They will go to the surface or eat off the bottom, but only if they have to. When I first got them, they would frequently ignore the food if it was on the top or bottom. If something is moving past quickly, they will probably eat it. You can also train them to eat out of a turkey baster if you feel the need to target feed, but that becomes more of a pain than it is worth.

Clowns and BSJs are fine together. Mine have all ignored each other for the most part. The jawfish will blow water at them or occasionally nip at them if they are too close, but that's mostly because the clowns can be curious and like stick their heads down the jawfish holes. The clowns aren't hosting anywhere in particular right now.