Lighting Question

Nemesis84

I have four 39w T5 bulbs for the 45 gal tank. They are a 6000k midday sun, 11000k aqua blue plus, and two pure actinic 03. All are giesemann bulbs. I am not able to split them so all are either on or off. Got some great Frags last meeting that are doing well, but the colors are not popping as much as I would like. Do you have any recommendations for bulb changes that could give me more color but still be good for coral growth? Thanks, Frank

You have a pretty good mix of bulbs. I've heard good things about UVL actinics. They've been the reference standard for fluorescent actinics in VHO for a long time and they now make T5s. You may try replacing one of your 03s with a UVL.

How old are your bulbs? Old bulbs don't have the punch that new ones do.

You may also try rearranging the bulbs front to back to see if you get more or less pop. Move a bulb to the front to "increase" its output, move to the back to "decrease" it.

I tried the aqua-pink bulbs from BRK and they look really nice.....maybe replace the midday with that bulb? I like really blue tanks though.......that also gives great color "pop." I now use LEDs and they are the best light I have ever used for color.....especially for LPS, my chalices look insane under them (my SPS grow slow though).

cheers,

Darren

i love ATI bulbs. I would use two blue plus, one aqua blue special and either one fiji purple or one aqua pink.

that would be a nice combo.

The bulbs are only 4 months old. I did shift the actinics to the front and it helped a little but still wanted to get some suggestions. Thanks.

i love ATI bulbs. I would use two blue plus, one aqua blue special and either one fiji purple or one aqua pink.

This is a good recommendation and basically what I'm running right now. If you want to stick with giesemann bulbs, their actinic+ bulbs is equivalent (not necessarily identical) to the blue+ ATIs. You could also sub the aqua pink for the straight actinic for even more blue.

Jon

I use this combo but the Giessemann version of it, I also have a strip of 1w blue LEDs in the middle, my growth and color are very good.!

I'll go with this "two blue plus, one aqua blue special and one fiji purple". Thanks!

good choice sir. if your mail ordering the bulbs, i recommend reefgeek.com they are awesome.