Different ways to use LEDs

Jon Lazar

wouldn't you really need to do a major re-aquascaping to take advantage of lighting the tank as you describe? as it is now, your coral was grown from top down- how are you going to arrange things to take light from different angles?

why not just use p38's on swivel head track lighting?

The 1 inch-wide heat sinks from Rapid LED would be perfect for what you describe. You may not need optics. If that is the plan I would go with XMLs instead of XPGs. You can run up to 16 off one mean well 60 48 D.

I think it is an interesting idea, I am interested to see it.

wouldn't you really need to do a major re-aquascaping to take advantage of lighting the tank as you describe? as it is now, your coral was grown from top down- how are you going to arrange things to take light from different angles?

why not just use p38's on swivel head track lighting?

Zygote, I shouldn't need to reaquascape. I expect to reduce some of the shading that traditional noon-sun lighting causes at the base of corals. I don't think P38s will work because of geometry: they're too long, especially when mounted on a swivel, and won't fit in the front of my hood.

The 1 inch-wide heat sinks from Rapid LED would be perfect for what you describe. You may not need optics. If that is the plan I would go with XMLs instead of XPGs. You can run up to 16 off one mean well 60 48 D.

I didn't see the XMLs on rapidLED; is there a better place to find them?

I use a light mover to get better angles.

I like the light mover idea for motion along the long axis of the tank, but I'm not sure I could use it here to angle light down across the front of the reef face.

how much room inside the canopy? If you can handle 10 inches or so, then the P38's will work. Other than that, maybe it's time for some underwater led fixtures?

• 4 weeks later...

I've read a lot of posts but am still confused about what possibilities there are for drivers, and what a good fit is for my interests.

I have a 60"x18" footprint for 1080 in^2, so originally I thought 96 LEDs with 8 Meanwell ELN 60-48D drivers would be plenty of light. But there's a lot of discussion about using fewer, different drivers. I'm not sure which ones would fit my needs.

I don't have an APEX and won't get one just to support LED dimming, but someday my AC3 will break and I will likely get an APEX so it would be nice for the system to be able to dim the LEDs. Until then, I'm happy to just make each of the 8 drivers come on in progression like people do when they have multiple T5s. I don't want ALL 96 lights to come on or go off at the same time. I'm ok with having a small bank of pots, 1 per driver, to adjust the max intensity and therefore the mixture of blue:white.

But if there's a better way than having 8 meanwell drivers, I'm open to that too. I would need at least a few separately controllable drivers though so I could turn on LED banks in progression. I just don't know what other driver makes sense and doesn't present a risk of electrocution.

I'm handy enough to be able to follow directions to build, and possibly program, a DIY controller. Does that mean I have to use drivers that are incompatible with an APEX? I wouldn't want to do that.

Guest thefishman65

Jon look at the HLG series of driver. They want to do large banks. I don't know of any driver that would work well for what you are describing. Well other than some of the DIY ones.