Any invert or fish eat sponge?

you could frag me a large piece of it and it will take awhile to regrow it.... i just happen to live in woodbridge.... lol

I read somewhere that there are some nudis that eat sponges.

But fish, angels and butterflies. I don't think dwarf angels eat them though.

My magnificent foxface eats sponge....

There are some star fish that eat sponge, I just can't remember which.

Just remember that if you get an obligate sponge eater (like a nudibranch), that 1) there is no guarantee it will eat your specific type of sponge, and perhaps more importantly 2) the animal will starve to death after its only food source is depleted.

Is this sponge out-competing corals for space? IME, most encrusting sponges tend to stay hidden on the undersides/backs of rocks where there is little to no light.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

I have some kind of "common gulf seastar" that eats the pink sponges from my tank, but not the yellow ones, or the red tree sponge I have. So...my guess is you'd have to get pretty lucky to find something that would work

Sponge is a great natural filter. Is it that bad? Why get rid of it? There are some nudibranch that eat it specific sponge but you have to find the one that likes your sponge.

Sponge is a great natural filter. Is it that bad? Why get rid of it?

That's what I was thinking. I am getting some little sponges and turnicates all over my rock. Seems to really help with water quality imo.

Sponge is a great natural filter. Is it that bad? Why get rid of it? There are some nudibranch that eat it specific sponge but you have to find the one that likes your sponge.

I do keep the big chunks and put them in the fuge. However, when it grows near a coral it covers it and kills it. Manual removal isn't that bid of a deal. I'll just continue pulling the big chunks. The corals that it's killing (pipe organ) isn't anything rare so I'll just deal with it. I noticed it popping it up all over the place and it freaked me out last night.

Can you share some pictures of the sponge? It would be a great item to add to a fuge or sump for the rasons that Jan mentioned.

I removed the extra posts for you treespite.

Can you share some pictures of the sponge? It would be a great item to add to a fuge or sump for the rasons that Jan mentioned.

I removed the extra posts for you treespite.

Here's a picture. This is the main colony that keeps growing back. It's about the size of a marble right now but in a month it will be 3x the size.

_-30.jpg

I had one of those, now I have A LOT! Not sure how they spread to different locations, but they do...

Yep, no clue how but I just found another tiny colony on another rock on the other size of the tank. At least it's an awesome color.

Tunicate or sponge? That is the question. I have these too and they look more like a tunicates to me than sponge. I've got a yellow sponge that is very dense and has smothered part of my sun coral. It acts like an adhesive and will attach to whatever it touches. This green/yellow tunicate looking sponge doesn't smother anything. It grows in clusters in different crevices and has never gotten bigger than a nickel in my tanks.