Giant clams have arrived!

OUsnakebyte

Well, I have been working on this deal for almost a year now (May 2010), trying to get clams in from Shedd Aquarium. I have a colleague there who had a surplus of T. crocea that were a Fish and Wildlife confiscation. Paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork later - plus a 3-week shipping delay due to cold weather and snow... finally... I got in 10 crocea clams. I snapped a few top-down shots this morning, so I thought I would show a few. Enjoy.

DSCF0774.jpg

DSCF0775.jpg

DSCF0777.jpg

DSCF0778.jpg

DSCF0781.jpg

And, while I had the camera, underwater housing and macro lens out, I figured I'd shoot a few fun shots (mostly of my most-beloved A. formosa):

DSCF0794.jpg

DSCF0787.jpg

DSCF0789.jpg

DSCF0788.jpg

DSCF0792.jpg

DSCF0795.jpg

Edited by OUsnakebyte

And a few more:

DSCF0793.jpg

DSCF0801.jpg

DSCF0798.jpg

DSCF0797.jpg

DSCF0799.jpg

And, it will be interesting to see how this battle plays out. For now, it looks like the A. formosa is going to be the subordinate. Wonder if that will hold...

DSCF0813.jpg

Cheers

Mike

Nice, Mike. I really like the clam with the bright green-trimmed mantle. So what's the story behind the F&W confiscation?

Real nice! A bunch of clams together is stunning. You corals also look great.

Major envy.

Thanks!

Very nice color on those corals. Can we please see a full tank pic??

Okay, okay... just for you Cammy boy... :)

I went and snapped a few pics from the front. I've only been transitioning this tank from primarily Sinularia dominated to mixed/sps for about 2 years now.

Fulltank3.jpg

FullTank2.jpg

FullTank1.jpg

Nice, Mike. I really like the clam with the bright green-trimmed mantle. So what's the story behind the F&W confiscation?

Yeah, that's one of my favorites. It's fun showing all the volunteers the difference between looking at the clams from the side, through glass and then over the top. I get constant, "OH my!!?!" I hope to be able to continue that with the public - during select times - when they are on display.

Re the confiscation. Mark just said someone didn't have all the correct paperwork when trying to import them. It happens from time to time - every few months some zoo/aquarium that is in a major metropolitan area with an international airport will post to our listserve that they have received a confiscation and don't have room for all the animals and could someone please claim them. Then, there is a feeding frenzy, not unlike when someone posts a huge tank breakdown here... :laugh:

The biggest one I have seen in the recent past was 20 boxes of confiscated corals that the Georgia Aquarium was trying to place. By the time we had contacted them - not more than three hours later - they were all claimed...

Cheers

Mike

Oh, and here is another of my formosa - it's my favorite, if you can't tell... :blush:

DSCF0791.jpg

Edited by OUsnakebyte

That tank at the invert house @ National zoo sure looks awesome. Love what you have done over last few years on it.

:cheers:

Thanks man. I think it is coming along - and is much better than it was before - but still not where I want it to be. I have so many ideas (build a backdrop and hide that stupid air lift with all the microbubbles, drill a hole in the fiberglass back and install a sump, and tons more), but... I keep getting reeled back in from funding. Little by little I'd like to chip away at my wants list. I finally got a calcium reactor set up thanks to a generous donation from Justin (ctenophore).

I'd also like to add a few of the other species of clams - deresa, maxima and squamosa. No gigas - they get too big, unless we turn the Spiny Lobster tank into a reef tank! :rollface:

And, it's certainly not without its challenges, what with running a fishless reef and all... ;)

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

Thanks man. I think it is coming along - and is much better than it was before - but still not where I want it to be. I have so many ideas (build a backdrop and hide that stupid air lift with all the microbubbles, drill a hole in the fiberglass back and install a sump, and tons more), but... I keep getting reeled back in from funding. Little by little I'd like to chip away at my wants list. I finally got a calcium reactor set up thanks to a generous donation from Justin (ctenophore).

I'd also like to add a few of the other species of clams - deresa, maxima and squamosa. No gigas - they get too big, unless we turn the Spiny Lobster tank into a reef tank! :rollface:

And, it's certainly not without its challenges, what with running a fishless reef and all... ;)

Cheers

Mike

dang tank 1 looks great mike. good job!