Treating algae with h2o2(peroxide)

F&Fmgr

Not sure why people think dinos are so hard to get rid of. I had it a few years ago and all I did was leave the lights off for 3 days straight.

Good for you.

I tried dipping frag plug (zoas only) that has a lot of gha and some with bropysis in peroxide, looks like all the algae are gone..it has been 3 days now..

I tried dipping frag plug (zoas only) that has a lot of gha and some with bropysis in peroxide, looks like all the algae are gone..it has been 3 days now..

I did the same thing. I tried this not because of dinos, but for other algae and had the same results with zoas and two SPS frags which are both happy and algae free. The rest of the SPS rack still has algae on it along with the other frags, but not the two SPS frags I dipped. I noticed algae is decreasing throughout the tank though (only 2 days since introducing h2o2), but you must clean it all off and filter it out first. I did this yesterday and am waiting to see if it remains clean longer. I also know why I had the algae in the first place and am correcting that issue. This is not a means to permanently fix anything. If you have an issue causing your algae, you need to correct that problem or it will will return obviously, but using h2o2 seems to be a good way to make that process much easier and also may be a good way to prevent importing pest algae into your tank from trading/buying frags. I left some algae spots in my tank alone to see the longer effects on it before cleaning it out. I did notice my glass is cleaner and haven't had to wipe it off the last couple of days.

Edited by audible

I did the same thing. I tried this not because of dinos, but for other algae and had the same results with zoas and two SPS frags which are both happy and algae free. The rest of the SPS rack still has algae on it along with the other frags, but not the two SPS frags I dipped. I noticed algae is decreasing throughout the tank though (only 2 days since introducing h2o2), but you must clean it all off and filter it out first. I did this yesterday and am waiting to see if it remains clean longer. I also know why I had the algae in the first place and am correcting that issue. This is not a means to permantely fix anything. If you have an issue causing your algae, you need to correct that problem or it will will return obviously, but using h2o2 seems to be a good way to make that process much easier and also may be a good way to prevent importing pest algae into your tank from trading/buying frags. I left some algae spots in my tank alone to see the longer effects on it before cleaning it out. I did notice my glass is cleaner and haven't had to wipe it off the last couple of days.

Did you dose the tank with h202? A lot of my algae came from frag plugs (corals I got from other people) GHA just pop out of nowhere. I am afraid to dose the tank with h202...not sure what's the effect on sps or lps

Did you dose the tank with h202? A lot of my algae came from frag plugs (corals I got from other people) GHA just pop out of nowhere. I am afraid to dose the tank with h202...not sure what's the effect on sps or lps

Yes. I did 1ml per 10g of estimated tank and sump volume. I plan to run carbon and do a couple of water changes soon after I'm done.

Done with the weeklong treatment and i have none off the algae that I had when I started!!

Also all the corals are thriving and all levels are normal.

Added a few inverts to prevent grow back

Sean

Very interesting thread, I am planning on dipping some of my plugs that have some gha on them.

Dip it then gently brush it with your tooth brush then stir it in the water before goes back to tank....so far i have no see any GHA back yet...all the plugs

Done with the weeklong treatment and i have none off the algae that I had when I started!!Also all the corals are thriving and all levels are normal.Added a few inverts to prevent grow backSean

Did you take pics?

Edited by FearTheTerps

Have you tried what Sean recommended? Did the macro survive?

Sean,

I dont understand what you saying....i want to dose peroxide...but was curious if its gonna kill macro's?

I like experiments too.

I just threw a capful in to see what happens. I'll add the same every day and report results. I realize this is lower than the 1ml per 10g, but that's ok, cause I like to play it safe when the lives of my fish and corals are at stake.

I did notice that all of the zoas closed within seconds of its' introduction to the water.

They opened back up after a few minutes and appear to be fine.

Edited by zygote2k

• 3 weeks later...

This worked really well for my tank. I was fight algae for months. I started to add 1 ml/gallon to the tank every day for 10 days, and the algae does not grow back. I harvested a lot of algae during the 10 days, but very little grew back.

All my corals, zoas, shrooms, SPS, LPS, clam, etc. are happy.

I am thinking about dosing my 12g nano tank. There are some location I can't reach..i have some GHA and bryposis growing...i m thinking maybe 1ml...i don't have a skimmer though

This worked really well for my tank. I was fight algae for months. I started to add 1 ml/gallon to the tank every day for 10 days, and the algae does not grow back. I harvested a lot of algae during the 10 days, but very little grew back.

All my corals, zoas, shrooms, SPS, LPS, clam, etc. are happy.

Quazi, did you dose 1 ml per gallon or 1 ml per 10 gallons as the original post (and the referenced post on R2R) suggested?

so my kimmer pump failed and I couldn't get a new one so I am upping the ante...

I have only bryopsis now, yesterday and today I dosed 200 ml in a ~400 gallon system, no ill effects yet except for the initial closing of the zoas, but all is happy and well...even the sun corals and neptheas seem fine...

I will take pics this time

I dont know how this will factor in but i have set up a NPX reactor as well.

Sean

• 8 months later...