What's the deal with these biopellets??

jamesbuf

So I've seen more and more clones of the biopellets come out now. Does this mean the system actually works for reducing nitrates and phosphates, or are companies just hopping on the bandwagon on the latest product to make a buck? Has anyone used them in a reactor and had success with them?? Iunderstand the science behind it. Provide a carbon source so bacteria can thrive and reproduce, thereby consuming nitrates and phosphates, and then the bacteria gets removed by the skimmer. Let's here some real life experiences!!!!!

I use them in a reactor in my skimmerless system and they appear to be working now after 6 months of use. Starting N03 was 30ppm- now it is less than 10ppm.

I use the pellets in every system that I maintain and they seem to work effectively at removing nitrate. They might be removing P04, but I'm not testing for it.

Ive emploeyed them in a reactor in two of my systems. first thing i noticed was the reduction of algae growth. Sure enough the pellets allowed the bacteria to remove nitrates and phosphates. On my fish only system i only have to scrub them once a week and theres not that much to scrub.

On my LPS/softy tanks i notcied that I catually have to add nutrrients back to the water for the corals, so far though no algae growth...the pellets destroyed(starved) my bryopsis and valonia I have in some frag tanks.

Sean

I just installed mine last night so my question for those with more experience is: Do you have to add the bioactive enzymes sold in the market, or will the bacteria just present in your system likely work?

I dont think its a question of whether or not the bacteria in your tank will suffice, I would just watch your alk, pH and keep your skimmer runnin a lil wet for when it cycles/blooms.

Sean

can you place them in a phosban reactor? also how much do you use for a 50, 100, 200 gal system.

if i was to fill up the phosban reactor (two little fishies) full, what is the capacity?

I use a TLF reactor right now and to get the right tumble you can only fill them up 2/3rds of the way and te tumble isnt great but i had it laying around.

Ordering an Avast media reactor, 18 in mr5 tomorrow as ive seen them in action and they do a MUCH better job and hold more along the lines of what im looking for. i have a 150g, i know Justin and few others are better at suggestin amounts for different size tanks, Definately helped my algea problems especially in my main tank, i had no blooms, but do watch your alkalinity.

I may have to give this a shot... James, are you running a tank again? Is it that 48x48 you got from Naga?

Edited by audible

• 1 month later...

I am curious if their is a difference based on different products bought. I am hoping to get my tank room opend by the Spring or summer and am deciding if it is something I will use.

I've been running BRS pellets for a little more than two weeks now i think. Water seems a little clearer and skimmers seems a little darker, but nothing so dramatic I can point and say aha! The biopellets did it!

Be very careful adding BioPellets to an existing system. Once you get to ULN (Ultra Low Nutrient) levels, alkalinity becomes an issue. You have to make sure your alk hovers around 7.5kh, if it goes over 8 you will be looking at burned tips on SPS. My advise is to do water changes and massive skimming to keep nutrients low.Acceptable alkalinity in a ULNS is in such a narrow range 7-8kh, it leaves little room for flexibility when problems occur.

I am curious if their is a difference based on different products bought. I am hoping to get my tank room opend by the Spring or summer and am deciding if it is something I will use.

The BRS stuff tends to take longer to fluidize and the Brightwell media...don't know of any difference other than that.

I've been running BRS pellets for a little more than two weeks now i think. Water seems a little clearer and skimmers seems a little darker, but nothing so dramatic I can point and say aha! The biopellets did it!

Took me about 4-5 weeks, then I noticed what the biopellets were doing.

Be very careful adding BioPellets to an existing system. Once you get to ULN (Ultra Low Nutrient) levels, alkalinity becomes an issue. You have to make sure your alk hovers around 7.5kh, if it goes over 8 you will be looking at burned tips on SPS. My advise is to do water changes and massive skimming to keep nutrients low.Acceptable alkalinity in a ULNS is in such a narrow range 7-8kh, it leaves little room for flexibility when problems occur.

+1 on low nutrients and alkalinity. I wouldn't use biopellets with ozone and/or UV on a small system(<250 gallons). Once the biopellets cycle through the po4 and no3 you should(this is based on my use and my experience with LNS) supplement with reef booster, zoecon, selcon, anything that will quickly turn into food for the bacteria w/o leaving alot of DOC in the water. When you get to this stage(where i am at right now), you should be able to maintain a higher alk and still maintain excellent polyps extension(b/c of the bacterioplankton now in your water column) and growth at the same time.