golden dwarf eel

hlem

anyone know if they are reef safe? my smallest fish is a yasha goby, ~2in, and a bunch of 2-3 inch fish, mostly clowns. and a bunch of shrimps...

good or bad idea to add the eel? I have a 265gal tank with plenty of LR

anyone with experience with them?

thanks

Edited by hlem

Depends how much you care about those 2-3 inch fish. If it would kill you to lose them then don't get the eel. If you wouldn't mind losing them because the eel is cooler, then get the eel, just be prepared to lose any fish that is small enough for him to get. The inverts especially wouldn't be very safe. A member on here lost a pair of helfrichi firefish to a golden. If I had a pair of fish that were as small and expensive as helfrichi firefish, I wouldn't get the eel if I were you.

Sam's advice here is good.

To be specific for you, though, I would expect the yasha to be VERY at risk of being caught (far moreso than say a wrasse, though there is risk there too) because they occupy the same general territory.

There are success stories, but there are horror stories too. It all depends on how much you are willing to risk.

if you keep them well fed, you should be okay, however like what L8 states "depends on how much you care for the fish" plus shrimp. the Golden tends to hide for most of the time, mine will pop his/her head out only when its hungry.

I've kept eels, triggers, and big mantis shrimps in reef tanks over the years, and as long as you keep them well fed, they'll leave other animals alone.

They'll leave them alone until you get that one rare and expensive fish that is just barely small enough for the eel to eat then all of a sudden your eel won't be so innocent anymore :rolleyes:. That's been my experience at least... but I still can't help it and my snowflake remains my favorite fish in my tank.

A member on here lost a pair of helfrichi firefish to a golden.

that was me :angry:

expensive eel dinner....i would get another one if i didn't plan on keeping small fish.They are very cool and manageable in a reef.

They'll leave them alone until you get that one rare and expensive fish that is just barely small enough for the eel to eat then all of a sudden your eel won't be so innocent anymore :rolleyes:. That's been my experience at least... but I still can't help it and my snowflake remains my favorite fish in my tank.

Ed Zachary!!!

Mine was well fed but the fact of the matter is, eels are predators and you cant put it past one to do what it does in nature sometimes....

Ed Zachary!!!

Mine was well fed but the fact of the matter is, eels are predators and you cant put it past one to do what it does in nature sometimes....

Come on now, it was just a tasty little snack.... :lol2: