Roozens nursery=Terrible

B216adkins

Consider it a sale that you missed. Other times if I feel like it I will negotiate with Jos. I have been there many times and left because that day's prices were too high, and many other times the prices were insanely low and bought a bunch of stuff. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

+1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you extreme tooth decay, but I think the quoted prices should be reasonable. If I was quoted one price one day and another price a few dollars over another day that will be understandable. In my case, it was almost double the price, which I do not think is reasonable. Why do you think it is silly not to go back? It is silly to go back and be taken advantage of. I know prices change but imagine if you picked out everything you wanted at an agreed price than when you went up front to pay the price was doubled. I can understand prices changing per shipment but not on the exact same item the next day. I have multiple reasons for not going back but the last one was the final straw.

Roozens will continue to run this way, whether people purchase fish or not. They make a large profit from selling the garden items.

Hiya

I agree with you extreme tooth decay, but I think the quoted prices should be reasonable.

I think all LFS should have reasonable prices. No reason to single Roozen's out here. Every single LFS I have ever been to has had times they had prices on things I thought were (very) unreasonable. Some LFS are like that pretty much all the time...

Why do you think it is silly not to go back? It is silly to go back and be taken advantage of.

Because, as I mentioned above, all LFS have crazy prices now and then. If I never went back to an LFS because I saw a crazy price on something at some point, I wouldn't have anywhere to go. Taking all factors into account, Roozen's has always been at or near the top for me, and the occasional silly price does not change that.

You only get "taken advantage of" if you actually buy something that you think is overpriced, which I wouldn't do...

This is just my opinion, and I respect your right to your own. You should take your business where you want to based on whatever factors you feel are important. I'm just offering what factors I feel are important. We don't have to agree.

I know prices change but imagine if you picked out everything you wanted at an agreed price than when you went up front to pay the price was doubled.

I always make sure the guy bagging/casing my stuff marks the price on the bag or case, including LR. That way there is no issue at the cash register.

If they do try to jack the price up at the register, I just wouldn't buy it. (has not been an issue for me though)

Roozens will continue to run this way, whether people purchase fish or not. They make a large profit from selling the garden items.

Indeed they are not likely to change. I believe they make quite a bit on the aquatic stuff as well.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

"Roozens will continue to run this way, whether people purchase fish or not. They make a large profit from selling the garden items"

They will abandon the fish business if it is not making $. This is not a hobby, this is a business. If they are loosing money, they will figure out how to make $ or quit that part of the business. They cannot afford to approach business, their livelihood, as a hobby.

Their prices have always been some of the best around. Roozen's is nothing like it was when Larry used to work there.

Does anyone know what Larry is doing these days? If I owned an LFS I'd snag him....

The last I heard, almost a year ago, was that he was working at a junk yard in VA. I agree, the man knew his livestock and he was a good example of not to judge a book by its cover.

You guys said it, Larry was great. He has an encyclopedic knowledge.

And he would give the real story. I recall asking him about a goby one time:

"He spooks real easily. If you don't have a completely sealed tank he'll jump out for sure and then that's $38 right in the toilet. mmm hm. Yep."

I think he said "mmm hm. Yep." pretty much at the end of every sentence. He was amusing.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Larry was the man. He had like 6 tanks in his house and his specialty was wrasses. He even knew the Latin names.

I stopped by Roozens the other day and their prices are simply not competitive any more. I say this as a customer for over 5 years now.

There were 2 guys working there, one guy told me that a clown tang cost $58 (why does every price end in 8?) and the other guy told me $78.

I have been dealing with Larry since 1987ish in Leesburg, VA when he owned a LFS there. He is a good guy, knowledgeable and helpful. Hard for me to believe he is working at a junkyard.

I have been going to Roozens since I began in this hobby 15-16 years ago. When I started Larry was there along with a guy named Mike, who later left to start/work in a store in Va.(I forget the name). Back then I could get healthy Black Tangs there for $125 when every other store in the area was asking $250 and above. When I quoted the price that Roozens was asking they stated "yeah we can't compete their prices."

Not all of the live stock that I've purchased there survived, as is the case with many of the other stores in the area. If Roozens quotes me a price that I feel is over priced, even from Jos, I pass on it just as I do with the other stores in the area. I go to stores in Baltimore and their live stock is $20-$30 more than the store in Glen Burnie, while their dry goods are $6-$10 more. I was in Roozens about a month ago and they had about 10-15 Achiles (sp) Tangs. I was there today and they had 3 Floweri Tangs, all were healthy looking. No otherstore in the area had them that I know of.

I have learned to do my research before buying from ANY store which helps me to know what to look for before buying any fish/corals. If it doesn't look good, don't buy it. if it does look good, it's still a crap shoot. I have had animals that I've brought from roozens that have out lived animals brought from other reputable LFS in the area and vice versa.