Any Thoughts on 250 W single end metal halide Pendant

kingfish

I am going to be in the market for some at least 2-250w mogul pendants and enough VHO lighting for a 65 in long tank. I plan on keep LPS and if any SPS they will be keep near the top of the tank. Tank 36 inches deep.

Question: Pendants first, What is highly recommended? I don't want reflectors I want pendants so i can put them on a rail and have them exposed without being tacky but I will have a canopy.

I decided against 400W because I figure that I don't need the excessive wattage, and heat generation. I will rely on coral placement if I purchase SPS. Followed by my plan to buy a third 250W pendant and second ballast if needed.

I would like a brand recommendation for both a ballast and pendant fixture manufacture. I have too many choices and not enough knowledge but I want the metal halides. I see current, sunlight supply bluewave, hamiltion, Coralvue, etc. I got a headache. I can tell you all this, I am definitely looking for best value and I am not opposed to used. Right now I am doing my research before I pull the trigger. Come on experienced reefers give me that advice and/ or reference sources. I will give myself two weeks at minimum before I buy.

I feel as though you are limiting yourself. I am un aware of any pendant that will give the proper spread with only two on a 65" tank especially at that depth.

I see that you may add a third. I would plan on that from the beginning.

:2cents:

No idea what the spread on these are, but the Lumen Max Elites which I assume these are based on are the very best in the class.

Lumen Max Pendants

If you can still find the Blue Waves I would get those to match. I heard the other day Premium Aquatics still had some, and I just got two new ones a couple of weeks ago from Aquacave.

Edited by CHUBAKAH

I am using a 250w DE lumenbright reflector on my 36" long tank and get adequate spread. I set my rock work up such that high light corals were placed under the intense part of the reflector and placed other corals (LPS/zoas) along the sides. If you look at Sanjay's articles on reflectors, you will see lumenmax elite and lumenbright come out near the top. The elites will have a wider spread and not as intense with depth, while the lumenbright puts out intense values directly underneath, but the spread is not much. Given you have a 36" deep tank, you might want to determine how you will place your rock structure and the pendants. Do you have any cross bracing to worry about? If its in the middle you might be able to get away with 2 pendants depending on how you position your rock and depending on what types of coral you want in the various spots in the tank to take advantage of the spread of whichever pendants you decide on.

i really want the lumen max elite but do they look super cheesy to hang as pendants? they seem to be made to go in a canopy really....

I don't have mine in a canopy however they do have a quick release bracket which makes them very easy to remove and reset.

i've got 2 pendants hanging, they have the black casing. im loving it. im not sure exactly what brand they are. but they look like icecaps i believe. they're 250w single end MH.

Thank everyone for the feedback. Does anyone have any recommendations on SE vs DE pendants.

Does the glass shield help with heat at all..?

I do not know. I only know SE are shielded and DE are not so they need the glass...

Someone else who has used both could probably say.

Edited by BowieReefer84

i don't think the glass shield helps with heat unless you have an ability to vent the reflector. it does help with preventing spray onto the bulbs and the glass shields are easier to clean then cleaning off the bulbs themselves.