Six-Figure Fish Tanks Are Catching On

Brian Ward

Cool, but not overly impressive. I have created better looking tanks for around $500. It is amazing what people with too much money will spend it on.

I'd like to see those pictures. $5000.00 Maybe.

I feel like I would do something crazy like that if money were no object.

I'm digging it, thanks for posting.

The number one reason I will not spend a lot of money on a tank: I keep breaking them.

Cool, but not overly impressive. I have created better looking tanks for around $500. It is amazing what people with too much money will spend it on.

If you can suspend my 700 gallon fish tank from my ceiling and make it look like that for $500 you're hired.

If you can suspend my 700 gallon fish tank from my ceiling and make it look like that for $500 you're hired.

I'll be there at noon tomorrow... just won't be there at 12:01 when it cracks the supports and drops to the ground! :tongue:

I understand what David is saying. Some of those tanks don't look that great. I could put together a tank for a fraction of the cost of what they're charging and it would probably not only look better, but would be more efficient. Wish we lived in an area where people spent that kind of money on fish tank maintenance, I'd be competing with Sean, Rob, Phil, and whoever else does maintenance!

If a photographer had taken a picture of my fishtank that got published on a national level and I had seen the cyano bacteria on the white sand under the fish, I would have fired my maintenance service. Unacceptable.

The suspended tank actually raise and lowers to provide/block access to the stairwell. The tank is on a hydraulic lift system. All of these systems are tremendously overpriced because they are in Tribeca area. The 150 that was shown with Clown Triggers isn't a 6 figure tank, it was just thrown in to fill the article. The noncolored fish with the mood lighting might have cost somewhere in the 50-60k range, but I couldn't honestly see how it would be 6 figures. Only the suspended tank would be a 6 figure.

I'm sure there are some 6 figure tanks in the metro area, some even by WAMAS members.

Quick poll-

who has the most expensive tank?

hah! not it!

While I have moved to the point where I buy quality (and most of the time expensive) equipment instead if "git-er-done" gear, I am not at the 5 figure range with this setup.

I believe that most of these folks have a problem that I've never experienced. They have too much money and don't know what to do with it. I think that I would get a nice tank and buy a boat!

having just moved from nyc, the thing to consider with a lot of these people is that they have more money then they know what to do with...plus just getting the floors reinforced and the permits to do something that heavy on a high floor can be $$$. there are some ridiculous tanks that have a lot of money poured into them as well as less then spectacular tanks with similar outlays. it seems a little crazy to normal people because most of us don't make 2-3 million a year. for someone like that, living in a 2000 sq ft apartment in nyc that was 10-15 million and has condo fees in excess of 4-5K per month, shelling out a couple thousand for an aquarium isn't a big deal.