Do I need uv sterilization in my aquarium ?

hoppies99

I have stuff flying around and itch in my tank.

How can I get kill itch? Some people said I need uv, and some said no.

Please let me know , cause I don't want my fish to die.

Thanks

ok so uv is pretty much a subjective thing i use it on one of my tanks and not on my other its pretty well well established that it cuts down on algae but not its debateable on its action on parasites. next its ich not itch just letting you know the best way to treat ich is to qt all new fish before adding them to

the tank and treat fish with hyposalinity treatment its time and labor intensive but it seems most humane and easy going treatment for the fish.

either way ich can not be treated well unless its in its free floating stage (it goes though different developmental stages) keep in mind everyone is going to tell you something slightly different but important dont stress the firsh with a bunch of different treatments pick one good well researched and supported one stick to it and an eating fish is usually a healthy fish

I too am a fan of UV. It can really help to reduce ich but you have to make sure the flow rate is slow enough to kill it.

JTFF, It's "fish", not "firsh". wink.gif

I use UV. But I think you need to overkill the mfg recommended wattage to be effective. I have seen good effects from it without any downside. I will always use it.

I am personally a believer of not treating ich by removing fish to a quarantine tank. I have lost fish this way, it is very stressful and unnatural for the fish. Especially if all your fish in your tank have it. Throw on a UV sterilizer, make sure you have good food (I like New Life Spectrum w/ garlic). If the fish are eating and in a healthy environment they will naturally fight off ich.

I only use UV on a QT, and only if the situation really warrants it. I used to use it in my tank, but I dose stuff that is contraindicated.

I am leaning more and more on the side of not removing sick fish from the display. It has been in my experience, that the stress of doing it decreases the animal's ability to fight infection and to heal. Whether or not medications will be effective is somewhat dependent on the fish's general health (aside from infection) and stress level or other factors that compromise the fish's ability to recover. If a fish is already in a QT I'll treat it however I feel is best, with or without meds or UV or hypo, but if the fish is already in the display where it has been living in good health to that point in time, I think it's best to leave it alone.

I believe cleaner shrimp help with ich. I agree with people that the shrimp don't (or at least probably don't) eat ich from the fish. However, I believe they help in a couple of ways.... 1. by knocking off individual parasites before they have a chance to attach and infect (which then are in the water or bottom, but still are not bothering the fish), and 2. taking away the skin irritation that fish feel, thereby reducing irritation that causes the fish stress which in turn lowers immunity, and also by preventing the fish from scratching on rocks which can make the fish's condition worse and possibly lead to secondary bacterial and/or fungal infections which could kill the fish even if the fish recovers from the ich.

I think UV is great when it is used properly and the right amount of flow passes and it's cleaned on a regular basis. Most people don't clean them or put the right amount of water thru them. Since you're a newbie, I'd recommend that you focus on water quality before anything else. Keep it simple in the beginning.

I am not running a UV right now, but in the past, I have had ick problems a lot, and just control with uv and chiller, because in small tank, the temperature variation is huge.

Once do you already have ick in your tank, use ick attack from gordom lab.(it really work)- do not delay - and then get a uv to prevent new infestation.

I personally believe UV is a waste of time for a salt water tank, great for goldfish ponds but useless in a salt tank. It will not kill ick as the paracite is already on the fish anyway and it does nothing for water quality.

Cleaner shrimp and cleaner fish are also useless for ich.

Sorry, there are no easy answers.

I personally believe UV is a waste of time for a salt water tank, great for goldfish ponds but useless in a salt tank. It will not kill ick as the paracite is already on the fish anyway and it does nothing for water quality.

I disagree because it does clarify the water and if flowed properly, can kill any free floating ick that passes through it via contact time. Key here is "passing through it".

From a clarity standpoint, it can turn brown/green tinged seawater crystal clear and has retarding impact on all free floating algae stages, including the ever popular valonia.

To be effective, you must keep quartz sleeve clean, bulb fresh and contact flow correct.

The debate is as timeless as skimmers or lighting.

Interesting set of opinions in this thread.

Thank you with all your advice.

I did put in uv and the cleaner wrasse, it help a lots.

After 5 days, how can you notice if either the cleaner wrasse or the uv is working more efficiently?

Do you know for certain that the right amount of flow is going thru the uv or did you hook a pump up to it and call it good?

Maybe the cleaner wrasse is eating only food and the fish are naturally shedding their parasites....

After 5 days, the water should be noticeably clearer. That alone is a possitive start in the right direction

not directed at Rob, but those that have "read" about UV should not comment on it's use.