Can't find Goby

JpNuss

I'm starting to get worried. I brought a Yellow Headed Goby home on Wednesday and I haven't seen him since. I have been looking all around in case he jumped, I tore apart my sump and I'm contemplating aquascaping just so I can try to spot him. Is this normal behavior for such a fish? I can't help but think the worst!

I'm starting to get worried. I brought a Yellow Headed Goby home on Wednesday and I haven't seen him since. I have been looking all around in case he jumped, I tore apart my sump and I'm contemplating aquascaping just so I can try to spot him. Is this normal behavior for such a fish? I can't help but think the worst!

what size tank?

I would still wait it out for a few more days. Fish can disappear for days into the tank while they're learning their way around, exploring, etc.

Different fish, but when I put my flasher wrasse in my tank, he was gone for quite a few days before I found him swimming around normally.

What other livestock do you have?

DON'T tear the rock apart. Sure, you may spot him, but you'll spend hours re-aquascaping your tank and it'll just scare the fish more. Also, knowing that he's alive will only grant you peace of mind that he's alive, it won't change his habits. Gobies can be very shy at first, some will always be shy though. Just let everything stay as it was and watch your tank. If it's alive you'll eventually see it.

Okay. That's all good advice. I have a 120g DT and a 40g sump/fuge. As for livestock, I have...

1 Yellow Tang

1 Hippo Tang

1 RS Sailfin Tang

4 Percula's

1 Mandarin Dragonet

1 Coral Banded Shrimp

1 Sixline Wrasse

And an assortment of crabs and snails. (Hermits and Turbos)

Okay. That's all good advice. I have a 120g DT and a 40g sump/fuge. As for livestock, I have...

1 Yellow Tang

1 Hippo Tang

1 RS Sailfin Tang

4 Percula's

1 Mandarin Dragonet

1 Coral Banded Shrimp

1 Sixline Wrasse

And an assortment of crabs and snails. (Hermits and Turbos)

I'd still wait, but you might want to watch the Sixline too. It won't eat the goby, but the sixline may pick on the goby mercilessly, depending on how long the sixline has been there.

There's no point in moving rocks around to try and locate a fish. If she's alive, you'll see her again. If she's dead, you won't. Moving rocks won't change that.

Good luck,

Jon

last time i saw my watchmnan goby i think he was in the arms of my brittle star LOL Saw a tail being draged under the rocks

They burrow under rock so that could be where it is. Unfortunately they also can burrow and collapse the rock on top of themselves, too. Females will also barricade themselves into burrows if carrying eggs, but my guess is that with this one if you don't see it soon then it simply died as they are not the hardiest of fish and are notoriously difficult to house.

My yellow watchman hid for a few days when I first got it. Til this day, he stays hidden under a rock for the majority of the time. :(

My yellow watchman hid for a few days when I first got it. Til this day, he stays hidden under a rock for the majority of the time. :(

The yellow watchman at school did the same thing. The most I ever saw of it was when I pulled it out of the overflow after it's body caused the tank to overflow...

I'm sure it's fine. Sleeper gobies can be shy and hide at first. They can live quite awhile without eating food you put in. Unless it jumped or got sucked in a pump, you'll see it in a few days. I had a mated pair of yellow head sleepers and the female would always hide. She got really skinny and I thought she was a goner. A couple months later they swam in the open together. Eventually the female jumped, but I kept the male for a couple more years. I just added an orange diamond sleeper today and haven't seen it since I put him in. Not worried about it.

Edited by audible

My yellow watchman of 2 months stays hidden 99% of the time. I didn't see him for the first 3-4 days until I found his hiding spot. He usually comes out to eat briefly.

Update:

Still haven't seen him. No sense in worrying any longer. I just can't help but think the worst. I don't know why! Haha. Oh well. Thank you all!

Update:

He's found! Plus, he's absolutely everywhere! It was like a switch flipped and now he's all over the place! Awesome! Thanks for all of the advice everyone!