Red Bugs

Sharkey18

In any case i have red bugs, quite a nice infestation.

I was playing around some new photo software and when I zoomed in.... there they were!

Problem is... the picture is several months old.

When I checked the coral, the news is not good.

I hate the idea of dosing the entire tank and killing off all of the crustaceans.... is individually dipping all the coral less effective?

Is dosing the entire tank necessary to really get rid of them?

Laura

Yes, removing the corals and dipping is less effective. Even if you remove 100% of acroporoids, encluding encrusting bases, you may have some RB in the water column or crawling over LR. Plus, "dipping" is probably not long enough to kill all the RBs.

But if you only have a few acros and removing to treat is easy, multiple dips may be an acceptable compromise.

Good luck

Have you all begun to see Milbemycin oxime (Interceptor)-resistant red bugs? I have run corals through treatments with this, and some still persist, presumably passing on their resistance characteristics to the next generation. I hate natural selection...

Mike

It's a digital Canon EOS Rebel Xsi with a 60mm macro lens.

The second photo is just a zoom of the first.

I had to take a LOT of pics before I got one that had the red bugs in focus when I zoomed in.

I have been playing around with Mac's photo software Aperture and that's how I found the bugs. I happened to be looking at a pic from June, zoomed in, and there they were.

So far I like the software.

And yes, they are yellowish- orange with red heads? eyes? When seen with the naked eye they do take on an overall orangish hue, so I guess that's why they are called red bugs. :blink:

Laura

If I treat with interceptor should I remove my urchins as well as snails, crabs, shrimp?

Laura