amazing growth of sps

zygote2k

I now have 4 tanks that have PAR 38's on them. 2 of them SPS. All of the SPS in both of these tanks have shown rapid growth almost immediately after switching from mh to LED. In the chiro tank, there is a piece of Green Slimer that has been growing extremely slow for 2 years. I broke off half of the colony by mistake 1 year ago that was about 3" long. That piece in my tank is nearly 8" across. The original piece that has been under LED's for 1 month has more than 10 white, new polyp growth clusters on the surface of the coral. All of these growth clusters are very berry like and look as if they will be nearly 3 times thicker than the underlying skeleton. There are 3 montiporas under the same light and laterally located to the slimer. All of these have 1/2" of new growth. It's easy to see when the lights were changed- almost like reading the rings of a cut tree and you can see when there was a drought.

In my own tank, I have been moving my centerpiece rock that has the slimer, a blue stag, an Undata, and a Limeade SPS. If I rotate the rock a few degrees, a new facet of the sps becomes available to the light. In one month, hte new spot has a 1/2" new growth. Any faded spots that are in shadow quickly color up and erupt in growth.

If anyone would like to see these results in person, drop me a note.

So you have to rotate your corals to get them to grow evenly?

What coral grows evenly?

I'll bet I could get a rotating frag plug and grow something unique...

I'll post some pics soon.

I'm calling BS. There is no one in the world making these claims with SPS and LED's.

PLEASE

Show me.

rolleyes.gif

What coral grows evenly?

I'll bet I could get a rotating frag plug and grow something unique...

I'll post some pics soon.

Instead of a rotating frag plug, how about a rotating fixture? One of those motors that alternates between turning left and turning right.

I'm calling BS. There is no one in the world making these claims with SPS and LED's.

PLEASE

Show me.

rolleyes.gif

There's no BS here- only the cold hard truth. Come see them in person.

I wouldn't make these claims if anyone could drop by and disprove them.

Instead of a rotating frag plug, how about a rotating fixture? One of those motors that alternates between turning left and turning right.

Or make it work like a carousel, kind of like light movers for MH systems..

Who's got the fix for this? I remember Boret had a rotating fixture that used a servo from an r/c boat, but I can't remember the details.

gallery_2631654_582_32212.jpggallery_2631654_582_713461.jpggallery_2631654_582_279009.jpggallery_2631654_582_143532.jpggallery_2631654_582_143632.jpg

these pictures were taken over a 2 month period. You can ignore the large blue stag in the background and concentrate on the one in front.

How deep are the tanks? How many (and what) wattage mhs were replaced and with how many (and which)PAR 38s?

How deep are the tanks? How many (and what) wattage mhs were replaced and with how many (and which)PAR 38s?

In these 2 cases both mh's were 400w. The blue stag is growing at a depth of 12" and the sps in the chiro tank are growing at a depth of 20" from the light. this tank has 3) P38's on that side and the tank at home with the blue stag has 3 also.

I second what mark said; not b/c of the lack of evidence but because of its presenter :lol2:

Maybe if you start paying me a consulting fee, I can show you how to grow coral.

You might only have to sell 9000 frags with me on the payroll...

At fragfest there going to have the growout contest, thats your chance to prove if the LEDs are superior or not.. Everyone will be growing the same frag with different lights in different systems.

Maybe if you start paying me a consulting fee, I can show you how to grow coral.

You might only have to sell 9000 frags with me on the payroll...

HAHA...I can see it now!

Fins and Feathers and Gunnett enterprises bring you.... THE BEST AND FASTEST GROWING CORALS IN THE WORLD. ALL L.E. OF COURSE, AND EVERY SINGLE ONE WILL BE CLEVERLY NAMED.

At fragfest there going to have the growout contest, thats your chance to prove if the LEDs are superior or not.. Everyone will be growing the same frag with different lights in different systems.

YEA, BUT ARE GOING TO GROW OR GRILL YOURS?

kngfisher in McLean uses LED's and he has great growth.

I think Mark's been away from "our" forum too long. He needs to come to the FFE and get re innoculated

Looks great Rob

If someone wants to "spot" me a PAR 38 I will do an experiment with the same series of corals under sunlight, MH, T5, and LED. All in the same system.

Well, I havent killed any SPS on grill yet, so I may give it a whirl, maybe Steve Outlaw will make some Paly Stew as a side dish to go with the grilled sps frags.. Im just killing off SPS so I can make my own Reactor Media.. Is there a prize for kills it the fastest..?

If someone wants to "spot" me a PAR 38 I will do an experiment with the same series of corals under sunlight, MH, T5, and LED. All in the same system.

Showoff..!! :clap: