What to do with a Gorilla Crab

MBVette

So I got some rock from Tampabaysaltwater yesterday and I found a gorilla crab in there. He is about 2'' across when he is spread out.

Right now I have him sitting in a cup, determining if he needs to go toilet surfing or what else to do with him.

This is not a great picture, but its what I took

Gorilla.jpg

Give it to "the Tooth"

The tooth used to take people's unwanted crustaceans and make videos of my mantis shrimp destroying them, but I don't really do that any more. My mantis seems to have entered an old age or possibly sickness phase where he doesn't really do an exciting job of it anymore.

Contact davelin, he might be interested. I'd be interested in his vid also.

-tooth

I dumped him into the sump for right now; but my sump is pretty barron and there is nothing down there for him. Should I feed him down there or just let him live off of whatever is in the water?

Also will he be fine with a barron sump? It is literally just my skimmer and some empty chambers. Thanks!

put him in a tank with some triggerfish and see if he gets the thumbs up or down

Also will he be fine with a barron sump? It is literally just my skimmer and some empty chambers. Thanks!

If there is no light, algae, live rock, etc...then I would think he will die.

You could just give him a small chunk of shrimp or fish probably once a week.

Crush him and drop him back in the display for your other critters to eat...everyone likes crab meat. It's a lot more humane than flushing him down the toilet.

the tank is in south riding. I put him in my sump this morning, but he seems as he has gone missing. By the end of the day I couldnt find him anywhere. Either he committed suicide by going into the pump somehow or he climbed out. If I find him again I will let you know integral.

I think the crab I have is possibly a gorilla crab - he's up for grabs.

The tooth used to take people's unwanted crustaceans and make videos of my mantis shrimp destroying them, but I don't really do that any more. My mantis seems to have entered an old age or possibly sickness phase where he doesn't really do an exciting job of it anymore.

Contact davelin, he might be interested. I'd be interested in his vid also.

-tooth

Unfortunately we lost ours about a month ago at school... sad day when we realized that we weren't hearing any clicking any longer. I think it was during a molt that it happened.

Unfortunately we lost ours about a month ago at school... sad day when we realized that we weren't hearing any clicking any longer. I think it was during a molt that it happened.

Sorry to hear it. I've heard a lot of tales online about shell disease and bad molts killing them. I've had mine a few years...I don't know what is going on with him, he seems sluggish and weak. He may be on his way out as well. In my experience, once any inhabitant of my tank starts looking bad, they never recover.

the tank is in south riding. I put him in my sump this morning, but he seems as he has gone missing. By the end of the day I couldnt find him anywhere. Either he committed suicide by going into the pump somehow or he climbed out. If I find him again I will let you know integral.

Well it's a good thing you caught him before he did any real damage. I had one once that ate my anemone. It was a shame Elian wasn't around to introduce himself.

I'll let Elian know that his dinner date has gone missing and that he will be dining alone on frozen catfish tonight. The invitation will remain open, should be pop up again.