LED Comparison

Can someone with more knowledge than myself explain the difference between the two fixtures linked here?

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=512

and

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_859&products_id=6448

They look the exact same to me other than the $170 price difference . . .

Thanks in advance.

At a quick glance there is a difference in theoretical wattage output (number of leds x watts per led)Also depending on who the leds are manufactured by (not the fixture) there may be a difference in quality of the LEDS.

I bought one of the 'hi power' led panels from LEDWholesalers about 2 years ago. It is absolute crap. Not water resistant- in fact it almost caught fire.

Why don't you look at Maxxspect or AI?

I bought one of the 'hi power' led panels from LEDWholesalers about 2 years ago. It is absolute crap. Not water resistant- in fact it almost caught fire.

Why don't you look at Maxxspect or AI?

I really like the AI a lot. I also saw the Panorama is person this past weekend at That Pet Place, and really liked that as well. Just trying to see what gives the most bang for the buck. I am a fan of the Par38's, but personally prefer not to have the spotlike look they provide.

Thank you for the tip on LEDwholesalers. Usually if it looks to good to be true it is...

The panoramas only use 1w LEDs as well, so your not getting your bang for your buck.. I think the maxxspects and AI's are you best choices.. Most of the time, price is a direct reflection of quality..

The panoramas only use 1w LEDs as well, so your not getting your bang for your buck.. I think the maxxspects and AI's are you best choices.. Most of the time, price is a direct reflection of quality..

Is there a homepage for the manufacturer of maxxspects? I do not see anything other than online reviews, and websites selling them. Thanks!!!

The best part of that website is all of the mispelled words and poor use of the english language.. You can also look on Reefcentral, there is a thread all about them.. They definitely arent as good as AI units, but the cost is MUCH more reasonable..

The best part of that website is all of the mispelled words and poor use of the english language.. You can also look on Reefcentral, there is a thread all about them.. They definitely arent as good as AI units, but the cost is MUCH more reasonable..

I also see they are made in both 110 volt(USA) and 220 volt(Everywhere else) . . . .FYI.

Why not get maxspect if you going to pay for that price or even DIY

After doing some reading, it appears the Key LED system uses 60 degree optics on there units, and you have the option to use Cree bulbs as well, for a slighty higher price..

Those LED fixtures look to be the frontrunners on my quest for a LED lighting solution. I'm not so freaked out about the cost...well yes I am...but I know that a DIY solution (the one I want anyway) would be just as much if not more.

In my searching I'm finding "almost perfect solutions" for my future LED lighting but it always seems to fall one feature short or one parameter that's just not enough.

My ultimate wish list would include a 36" size LED fixture sufficient for a mixed reef that has moonlight capability and can be fully dimmable for use with a controller but I don't think such a commercial fixture exists.....yet.

The Maxspect has it's own timer / controller and the KEY doesn't look like it can be dimmed. Still looking though.

I like the prices at RapidLED.com a little better. Get the heatsink from McMasters.com and you could build a really nice hood out of wood (unless you don't have one) and it would look great.

Thank you all for the helpful information. I have a question: What fixture would be better between these two?

https://www.reefledlights.com/products-page/premimum-xr-e-q5-led-kits/48-cree-xr-e-q5-kit/ with dimmable drivers + $160 and with my own heatsink estimated at $50 = total of $575

OR

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/247689/i/1/product.web = $615 (without any coupons)

The Panorama has a total of 72 led's versus the 48 led's of the diy. I figure it will take me a WHILE to put that thing together so I don't think an extra 40 is a big deal. Plus I wouldn't need to build a hood with the Panorama. I am just trying to get the good / bad comparison. I am sure there are things I do not know that should be considered.

Thanks again for all the comments and useful links!!!

IMO i think the panorama is a waste of money.. It has 1watt LEDs compared to 3watt in most others and costs as much or more.. It is nice looking, but I think for that price get one of the others.. The DIY kits they have look good, but personally I would want something that looks like a finished project for that much money, unless you are planning to hide it in a canopy, then I think its a great idea... Btw, how do you control those dimmable drivers..?

The dimmable drivers would be controlled by most of the modern controllers on the market from what I've been reading. That's one of the main reasons I want to have a dimmable LED setup....so I can make that future controller that I just spend $$$$ on work for me. ;)

Off topic, I just received an LED flashlight I ordered off of Amazon. Wow. Only has 1 LED (not sure the wattage or brand) and it is insane. Makes me want LED's over my tank even more now lol.

Here is the light,

http://www.amazon.com/Dorcy-41-4750-180-Lumen-Cyber-Flashlight/dp/B002OOZERY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1276282453&sr=1-1

Anyone who needs a flashlight will not regret this purchase . . . unless they look straight at the bulb as you will be temporarily blinded.

They should make reflectors like the ones in this flashlight instead of optics.