Need this off my rock

treesprite

(edited)

(Edit comment: Man, there's a type in the subject - how embarrassing! Oh well! It's supposed to be "rock" not "rick")

I never thought I'd see the day....

I had to break off a coral to have a space to put a new frag, but I had to sit the newer frag on top of the encrusted part of the older one (then had to move it to put a newer frag there, while some other frag got displaced to the bottom of the tank to make room for the first new one that I had to move for yesterday's new one.... ). There is still a group of little branches of the stag sticking out from the encrustation, and they are really in my way. This thing is going to keep growing in my way if I don't somehow get it off, and I don't really want to kill it off, but might if I have no other choice. I can't just take out the rock to get the thing off, because the rock is large, epoxied to another rock under it, and has other corals encrusted on it.

Edited by treesprite

Are you seeking a way to remove encrusted coral from a rock? You'd be surprised how soft most of our live rock is. Just take your bone cutting pliers, and nibble around it until it's off of there.

bob

Seeking advice :)

Are you seeking a way to remove encrusted coral from a rock? You'd be surprised how soft most of our live rock is. Just take your bone cutting pliers, and nibble around it until it's off of there.

bob

I don't have any bone cutter pliers, but if I did, is that something I could actually put in the water?

There are 7 corals encrusted on the same rock, and 2 more sitting on it that are not encrusted. I wonder how many beginner reefers make the mistake of over-crowding little frags.

Yes. Eventually they rust up from the salt water, unless you rinse and dry them after every use. If you don't have bone cutters - how do you cut frags from corals in the tank? If you are using a pair of wire snips or something - try those on the rock.

bob

If you can't remove it and you just want to kill what is left of it you can just place something over it until it dies. You could even kalk it like you would aiptasia.

Or boil it.

Oh wait, someone tried that and had a less than optimum experience.

You could take a box cutter and just carefully scrape the surface of the rick, kinda like Bobs idea of nibbeling the rick on;y scrapimg.

ebay for the bone cutters.

I sometimes just put a covering of epoxy over the remnants to starve the remaining polyps of light. Afterward, you can often just pry the epoxy up. Alternatively, I've also used duct seal (a butyl rubber composite) to fashion a insoluble yet pliable temporary bandage to cover polyps. You can get duct seal at Lowe's for two or three bucks for a 1 pound block. The MSDS for the product that's at Lowe's is here: http://www.wirenut.com/media/pdfs/products/msds/duct_seal_msds.pdf

I founf covering any coral with a nice thick kalk past works well, its the only way I control some weeds in my tank. Shut down all the pumps and make a past as thick as you can get to go through a syringe and coat everything you want gone.

john

Whoever fixed my title, thank you!

I hate having to kill coral on purpose. It's like the time my parents planted strawberries in the back yard....