Identify a fish??

lanman

I saw a commercial tank this weekend - had a PAIR of fish in it - wrasse-like. Very black, with very white spots all over - and an 'eyespot' towards the tail. One was almost 6" - and the other about 3". I've searched a bit and found a 'black leopard wrasse' - but the picture I found is not AS black, and doesn't have an eye spot. Any hints? I want one! :)

bob

A couple of additional thoughts here, try Macropharyngodon negrosensis, Anampses meleagrides, or Anampses chrysocephalus. Also, some of the other "tamarin" wrasses have male or female colorations that are black with white spots and/or "eye" spots, some of these are transitional with some variability.

Also, I have one of those huge marine fish atlas books that has thousands of identification pictures. If you want, I could bring it this weekend for you to flip through.

Marine bettas, from what I understand, will swallow anything that fits in their mouths. Beautiful fish, though.

A tail spot could also be the sign of juvenile colors which for some larger wrasses is possible at the size you are talking about. With that in mind, there's a bunch of fish that fit the description.

Any hits Bob?