self-fragging frogspawn

mogurnda

Came home a few weeks ago to this:

frogspawnbefore_2378.jpg

Looked like a piece had fallen off the main colony, with a squishy piece of tissue still connecting them. Even had a little piece of skeleton, which you might be able to see at the bottom left.

It finally came free last weekend. So now I have a little baby colony without doing any work.

frogspawnafter_2448.jpg

At some point, the urchin will probably walk off with it, so it needs a new home.

Mine did that in the past... there are pictures of it floating around WAMAS somewhere.

Very nice pictures of a polyp bail-out. Thanks for sharing.

I have always thought of polyp bailout as a polyp leaving its skeleton behind, but this does seem like the polyp bailed out.

Always something interesting happening in the tank.

Could the skeleton have been damaged or broken earlier which caused it to seperate from the main colony?

It seems a likely explanation, but it's in a place that I am not likely to whack into it. Maybe it happened during the move and took a few months to fall off.

Could the skeleton have been damaged or broken earlier which caused it to seperate from the main colony?

That's a possibility.

I found with my large ones of days gone by that a small "stick" would form just below the tissue attachment point and a new colony formed there and then dropped off.

I was also able to remove a few to grow out but that was hard because we were not using super glue (now gel) and only used devcon epoxy. Many got lost.

i'm a newbie who happens to live in silver spring. i've been interested in getting a frogspawn and would love to give it a new home, just let me know.

i'm a newbie who happens to live in silver spring. i've been interested in getting a frogspawn and would love to give it a new home, just let me know.

Looks like I already have a taker, but you're on the list.

Did it leave behind a dead skeleton stalk?

Nothing I can see. Now that it has separated, I may poke around among the tentacles.

Just wondered whether this was bailout or assexual reproduction. Sounds more like repro to me. Maybe that section was slightly shaded and it was wishing to expand.

Just wondered whether this was bailout or assexual reproduction. Sounds more like repro to me. Maybe that section was slightly shaded and it was wishing to expand.

Time to get a better look at the parent and the frag. Stay tuned.

After probing around, it looks like there are two chunks of broken skeleton associated with the little polyp, and they probably match the chunk missing from the corallite above it. Not sure how it happened, maybe I dropped the fragging shears on it or the rabbitfish got a running start and ran into it.

It's on its way to a new tank, so we'll see how things develop from here.

Thanks for documenting this. I think it might be polyp bailout since a piece of the skeleton came with it. I saw a similar thing with an Elegance back in the day. There was an article in Aquarium Frontiers too. Anyone have that article?

(edited)

Here are the two babies that grew off of a frogspawn in my clown tank. They are still connected here, but later came apart and each grew a bit more skeleton by the time they actially separated. I kind of am wondering if it happened this way due to my epoxying down the original when it still had barely any skeleton of its own (it was a baby grown out of the stem of a colony)

fsbb.jpg

Edited by treesprite

Here are the two babies that grew off of a frogspawn in my clown tank. They are still connected here, but later came apart and each grew a bit more skeleton by the time they actially separated. I kind of am wondering if it happened this way due to my epoxying down the original when it still had barely any skeleton of its own (it was a baby grown out of the stem of a colony)

fsbb.jpg

Interesting. The kind of thing you don't see with SPS.

Eric Borneman starting a thread (Coral Polup Extrusion) on ReefCentral back in 2003 on corals reproducing this way. The thread died in 2006 though.

The links on that thread go to error pages :(