Coral Foods.

Happyfeet

I'm just curious what everyone feeds their corals?

I like to target feed with Marine Snow and recently I found my coral likes Maryland Blue Claw Crab Meat as much as I do. I mashed some up and fed it into a power head to disperse over the tank. Polyps went crazy; most extension I

I feed oyster eggs and cyclopeze daily (and not directly coral related, phytoplankton daily too), and every third or so day I add something else that I have on hand which recently has been golden pearls, but could be anything really (crab meat included :) ) and target feed hikari mysis to some of the LPS.

Oyster feast

Phytofeast

Phytoplex

Formula one pellets

Formua two pellets

Flake food

Rods food

Frozen cycloppeze

Frozen mysis

New life spectrum

Nori sheets

Wow you guys feed a TON!

any thoughts on feeding zoanthids?

you guys with mixed reefs, have you noticed any feeding response from zoas?

I do from oyster feast and frozen cyclopeeze

Wow you guys feed a TON!

Wow you guys feed a TON!

IME most zoanthids do not exhibit a feeding response. If you want to know about your particular zoanthids, I would just try it and see.

^I second this... it seems some zoas exhibit a feeding response for particular sized food. You could try isolating the zoa with the top of a 2 liter bottle covering the zoa and experimenting with different foods.

I've simply found it interesting with many websites, and even a few die hard zoa fans on reef central that speak on the importance of supplemental feeding of zoanthids. Almost as if they treat their zoanthids like their cnidarian cousin, the larger single polyp anemone's.

The thought being that nearly all zooanthids rely on particulate food and plankton capture to sustain their metabolism. Could this possibly relate to their success in less than optimal water conditions, low lighting requirements, and even the possible demise in sterile tanks? (ie. after heavy carbon use ect)

I've only fed Microvore Microdiet by Brightwell Aquatics, and have noticed, as mentioned above, that some zoa's demonstrate a feeding response while others do not. I guess a better question which would be the best "particular" sized food.

Cyclopeeze and Oyster Eggs seem to be a coral staple.