Ever worry about your wiring catching fire?

johnnybv

There is a new fire suppresant system that simply hangs over your tank and is heat activated. You can check out the u tube video of it here, and contact me if you would like one or several, I think they should be over every system. Prices are $44.95, $99.95, $149.95 for each of the different sizes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STjMZz8gxbA

What will it do to the inhabitants of the tank though? Will the chemicals cause a crash?

Looks like it contains ammonium phosphate as an extinguishing agent. Not sure what that means to water chemistry though.

What will it do to the inhabitants of the tank though? Will the chemicals cause a crash?

Ah, Yea, it would totaly destroy inhabitants and render most equipment un usable but it would save your HOUSE from burning down!

Me being a home owner would gladly let my 15K in tank go to save the rest of my house.

Triggers at 150 degrees F. I wonder how warm the ceiling of my fish room (where I would mount this) gets given the 400W MH lights up there....

(edited)

Johnny,

See if they can fill it with sodium bicarbanate which would be a little safer for the tank and still put out the fire.

I have installed dozens of these over the range automatic systems which would also work over a reef tank and are a little more compact. They come with a contactor that shuts off the power to the stove when the fire extinguisher is activated. If the system you offer could incorporate something like that it would be a nice selling point.

http://www.stopcookingfires.com/info/installationservice.pdf

Edited by Coral Hind

Jhonny,

How long have you been running yours and was it easy to install?

This seems like a neat idea.

It was just realeased through sunlight supply I have never seen them before and dont have one but I sure have had my fair share of fires at the store, and fortunatly I have been around for all of them. Installation is as simple as mounting it above the tank, in my case it would be in a fish room and would be very effective in containing the damage. Again tank would be gone, but house and family safe.

As far as modifying it, I dont plan on being involved with the manufacturing of it, I just saw it as a saftey thing that many of us should consider. I know I would sleep better at night, and feel more comfortable when I was not home! it seems no matter how neat and clean you try and keep your wiring there are always saftey failure points, I triggered on last night when I pulled my hand out of a frag tank and the droplets of water ended up magically navigating right into a powerstrip....

John

Triggers at 150 degrees F. I wonder how warm the ceiling of my fish room (where I would mount this) gets given the 400W MH lights up there....

I doubt it would ever top 100 even in the summer.....