HELP!!!!!!!!

Gilbert

i just tested my water, so it reads

ammonia 0.25

nitrite 0.1

nitrate 5

these are the same reading i've had for a couple of weeks, is this right?

These reading could be right, but it would be unusual for them to all stay the same for a couple of weeks. I would do a side-by-side comparison of your tank water and your water change water...it could be that your test kits aren't completely accurate and the actual values for ammonia and nitrite are zero. For example, if you test ammonia for both the tank and your saltwater for water changes and the color is the same, you probably have zero ammonia.

Jon

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its been about a month, why are there still readings in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

I would probably think because the water change water has more ammonia than the tank. Ammonia gets converted to nitrate.

(edited)

my water change water has more ammonia in it than the fish tank, the same nitrate content though

What water source are you using?

Edited by Coral Hind

gilbert-

have you done any reading about water chemistry and the nitrogen cycle? did the LFS that sold everything give you any hints or suggestions about using purified water? Are you using tap water?

well yes, I've strictly been only using and buying R0/DI water. I am aware of the nitrogen cycle, I think I might do a 20% water change tonight? let me know if I should or not. kinda weird that there's readings in all contents.

well i think what happened to my water change water was that i kinda dipped my dirty filter sock in the container to cleanse off some dirt, maybe contamination? well today i rinsed out that container and put fresh RO/DI water and salt. so this time i won't contaminate the water change water. :(

(edited)

I doubt that one dirty filter sock caused all those readings....what did the rock look like when you put it in.

Oh and good job on the water.

Edited by gmubeach

Looks good are you running any kind of refguim? That would help you with your nitrates...how big is your tank?

92 gallon reef ready corner tank witha 20gallon sump, i was thinking about just puttin a wad of macroe algae in the sump tank with a light and call it a day.

... 20gallon sump, i was thinking about just puttin a wad of macroe algae in the sump tank with a light and call it a day.

It won't help much with the water chemistry for now, but I'd also through in a few pieces of live rock rubble. It will give your pods a safe place to live/propogate.

my water change water has more ammonia in it than the fish tank, the same nitrate content though

Is this water you made or is it store bought?

If it is your unit, what type do you have?

Be aware that ammonia is not removed by RO alone. RO will remove ammonium but not ammonia. A DI unit must be used to remove ammonia. If you are using DI and still finding ammonia then the DI needs recharged.

so i bout a bubble tip anemone last night and put it in my tank about about 7pm, now i come home and my clarkii is hostin it. i'm glad this relationship formed real quick. this is what i have in my tank,

clarkii clown

2 blue damsels

yellow tail damsel

2 peppermint shrimp, one of them had eggs on it when i bought it but i haven't seen it since i put it in my tank, i've only seen the other one

diamond back goby

sand sifting starfish

and like 6 nickel size cleaner hermit crabs

this is about a month old tank

so i went out and bought a new master test kit and just test my water

amonia o

nitrite 0

nitrate 0

i was soooooooo stress for the longest time because the orginal test kit was telling me my water was all messed up. man it cost $2 for these little nickel size hermit crab, I need a cleaner crew for my 92 gallon tank where can I get a cheap clean up crew?

I'm glad you found the problems.

Don't stress about the starfish and it starving. Just offer it a little piece of meaty food once a week and you will be fine. Feed it when you feed the BTA.

Send a PM to Sean at Fins and Feathers and see what kind of invert prices he will have for the WAMAS social next weekend. He had some great deals last year.

so I just added a foxface fish and a tiny clarkii about 1.2inches today. I have a clarkii in there that is about 2.5inches and its chasing the little new guy everywhere non stop, but I took the net and managed to scoot the little clarkii behind some rocks. Eventually, I want the bigger clarkii to mate with the little clarkii. I also put in a bubble tip anemone in the other day he's about 3inches in diameter I fed it 1in. piece of raw shrimp split in half, I don't know if the anemone ate it or if the clownfish pushed it out. How often should I feed the bta?

so I just added a foxface fish and a tiny clarkii about 1.2inches today. I have a clarkii in there that is about 2.5inches and its chasing the little new guy everywhere non stop, but I took the net and managed to scoot the little clarkii behind some rocks. Eventually, I want the bigger clarkii to mate with the little clarkii. I also put in a bubble tip anemone in the other day he's about 3inches in diameter I fed it 1in. piece of raw shrimp split in half, I don't know if the anemone ate it or if the clownfish pushed it out. How often should I feed the bta?

It seems like you're stocking the tank really quickly if it's only 1 month old.