viable clown fish eggs- anyone want them?

hbh

ANYONE help? I have clown fish eggs ready to go on a medium sized rock. The clutch was laid last Monday or Tuesday.

For those that want to do the raising, does anyone want these eggs that are soon to hatch? They now have eyes :eek: in them are about 25 eggs or does someone have rots or whatever to help me feed these guys?!! I don't really want to raise them through the fry stage but I would take them back and share them with someone who got them through that stage.

Thank you, Justin (Ctenophore)! i'm going to set up the Qt- just in case.

okay, so now the eggs are still on the rock with distinctly fatter orange tummies with eyes and are ever so slightly turning very lightly silvery in color with slightly longer tails. The batch of 200? is down to about 30ish. Dad is still watching over them and every time I look charges the acrylic wall of the tank as well as any fish that dare come to close. Meanwhile, his mate is acting like she wants to lay another clutch or to be with him again but he chases her away too.

So cabrego or anyone else, what is "green water"? How/what am I going to feed these little guys in a blizzardthat I'm snowed in? What tank temps are good? I've set my QT up with a HOB filter and temp set @ 79 and SGH @ 1.24 same as the DT and used 1/2 of DT water to put in QT. I have 2 small live rocks that I was planning on putting in to see if that would help give them a place to hide and some macros to help with the nitrates.

When should the rock with the larvae be moved? The clutch was laid on Monday or Tuesday (?) but I'm not sure. They don't usually get this far. Last clutch was a 4x4 mass of bright orange,tightly packed eggs and within a couple of days was gone.

Where are you reading about raising the fry/larvae?

Edited by hbh

step one lots of luck, and

7-9 days from eggs laid to hatch, eyes will be silver just before

greenwater feeds rotifers

rotifers feed fry

newly hatched brine shrimp 6-7 days after hatching

after about 20 days start weaning to dry foods.

You need the rots to have them survive. If eggs disappear before that, predators or even parents will eat the eggs. Wilkersons "clownfishes" (wish I had mine- DaveS ;) ) a great book, or go to mofib.org for reading.

put rough ceramic tiles around the anem and try to get them laying on that. If you don't to raise, I will provided it ever stops snowing.

Okay, so that means they should hatch in the next day (?!) or they should have already hatched... which means I should find some green water and rots for the new tots (sorry, it rhymed). BUT where? And not really, I don't want to raise them but I am more than willing to let someone get the eggs.

Now how do I know the difference between black and silver eyes? Is it just the edges or the entire eye changes color or the entire egg?

Yes, later I will go look at the mofib.org for more help. I just hope these guys hold off hatching until someone can get them!

Added: Can I just take the rock with the eggs and the dad clownfish out and put into QT? Or will this throw a wrench into the works? I was just going to take the rock out but I don't know when to do it. BUT If I were to take dad with them, would that work? Then when the eggs hatch, he gets put back into the DT. Any thoughts?

Edited by hbh

Do you have rots? Green water? How far is your access road off the main roads? Mark just came in and said all the main roads are great. Is it possible to get rots and green water from you if we were to drive? LMk.

Do you have rots? Green water? How far is your access road off the main roads? Mark just came in and said all the main roads are great. Is it possible to get rots and green water from you if we were to drive? LMk.

I don't have fry hatching stuff. That's Almon's job :) I just raise the post-meta babies. Either way, you couldn't get them if you wanted. I just spent over an hour helping un-stick my neighbor's AWD car from the access road which has still not been plowed. What really sucks is that the plow was coming down the road behind him when he got stuck, then had to back up and leave cause we couldn't get him free in time.

ohhh, that would be very frustrating! Do you have Almon's phone #? I can get out tomorrow and yes, since I took my long nap to feel better, they have distinctly changed color. So I'm going to leave my lights ON until early this am and then transfer the rock to the QT tank. How long can the fry go with out food? A couple of hours? If they hatch in the Qt tank how do you transfer them to transport ( and what do you transport them in?)? I'll be up as I slept to long to go to sleep this early.

Well, I took the rock out at 3 and after an hour still no hatch. So I went to bed. Now 4.5 hours later, there are no eggs on the rock and no fry. They are gone! The eyes were definitely silver. It was so cool to see those eyes shine in the light of a flashlight with the lights off. Would bristle worms eat them? Do they just die off?

Anyone want to way in? Almon? Jason?

where did u move the eggs too? If something else was in the tank with them, they prob were eaten.

Was the q-tank filter running?

These are two very good questions. They probably hatched and were either eaten or filtered.

If you are interested in raising the fry yourself, I will be happy to help. I have rots, algae paste, brine eggs, and advice. But you will need to be prepared before they hatch, so start preparing now. They will lay again in 1-3 weeks.

The QT tank filter was not running and only the live rock ( no plants, no sand, no fish, no pumps running - only a battery operated bubbler) with the about to hatch fry were in the QT tank in temp of 82. The rock had the fry in the DT tank and was moved @ 3am immediatrly after lights out to the QT tank to hatch out.

Almon, I'll leave the tank up to get them again to where they were but I'd like for someone else to get them through the meta/fry phase. Would you want them? I can try to raise them but my life is very full right now. I'd rather pass the about to hatch eggs off. It was really cool because the fry you could see them change! The eyes sent from black to a ring silver when a light was shined on them and I could see a couple of them fighting to free themselves from the egg/rock. Five hours later nothing was there. No eggs, no fry. Nothing. I didn't have the filter running and it has no other living organism that I could see other than the fish and some small bristle worms. I dislodged 2 and removed 2 just in case. The SW temp seemed high @ 82 but that's all I can figure.

Any thoughts?

I used the SW from the DT tank and double checked w/ the refractometer. Both matched @ 1.22. The airstone was near but not hitting the eggs. Good questions! Could there have been too much O2 from the airstone?

I had the filter running PRIOR to adding the rock but it was turned off before the rock was added and ONLY the airstone was running once the eggs were added. Sigh. I may never figure it out. BUT I am hoping to get more eggs and I think she laid some today as her lips are fuzzy again and my DD said they did but I'm not finding them...