HELP, external pump wouldn't start after water change

bcjm

My little giant pump (4MDQX-SC) wouldn't start after I shut it off to do a water change. Maybe it is because it is getting weak. I can hear the motor making sound when plugged in but wouldn't turn over. Is there a way to get it starts? Does anyone can loan me one for the time been?

Thanks

Bob

Edited by bcjm

My little giant pump (4MDQX-SC) wouldn't start after I shut it off to do a water change. Maybe it is because it is getting weak. I can hear the motor making sound when plugged in but wouldn't turn over. Is there a way to get it starts? Does anyone can load me one for the time been?

Thanks

Bob

Do you need to prime it?

could also give the impeller a little spin to get it going. might have a dead spot in it. - and buy a back up. Many sell for about $60 on here..

THIS WORKS ANYTIME MY PUMP DOES THIS. TAKE A SCREW DRIVER AND GIVE IT SOME HELP

Some of the Little Giants need to be oiled periodically. Once it's started it will stay going, but it needs a little help as it gets older and the drive shaft itself gets dirty. I would take a screwdriver to the fan end and carefully spin it until it gets going. Be careful, though, the fan blades bend very easily. I think the solution to this problem is to simply take the whole pump apart and clean the motor, not the impeller housing itself, that is usually not the problem with these.

If you can find a back up or alternatives I've rebuilt seized pan world, iwaki, and sequence pumps i may be able to help you with yours

I changed to an internal water pump for now while looking for an external one. How do you rebuild the pump? I thought it can't be opened.

ill attempt to make a photo thread, they are certainly not easy to open, it requires a good set of tools, a steady hand, and a head for mechanical things.