SPS "skin peeling"?

magnetic1

While looking closely in my tank, I noticed the underside of my Miami Orchid piece had a small round section that looked like it was flaking some. Ive seen something similar in the past when SPS touches frogspawn, etc, but nothing is remotely close to this piece that could sting it.

Anyone have ideas what this might be? Should I cut and frag off the sections close to it?

miamiorchid2.jpg

miamiorchid1.jpg

AEFW? did something stick to it that prevented light from reaching it?

Nothing like AEFW damage. Might be the start of RTN - so watch it, and if it gets even the tiniest bit larger, frag off a nice piece from as far away as you can, just in case. In fact, you might want to take a small frag immediately, as insurance.

bob

AEFW? did something stick to it that prevented light from reaching it?

Nope. I dont think it is AEFW. I took the piece out and looked very closely. the ONLY thing I can think of would be maybe Joes Juice hitting it... but this piece is in a pretty high water flow area, so not much would "stick" to it.

I only noticed this today and not 2 days ago. Cant think of anything I did in the past two days like touching it or getting Joe's Juice on it.... Im stumped.

Some research seems to suggest maybe RTN/STN?

yup.. looks just like RTN/STN. I'd frag off a piece as far from the damage as possible and pray. The rest will probably be dead in 1-5 days.

+1 but what caused it?

Nothing like AEFW damage. Might be the start of RTN - so watch it, and if it gets even the tiniest bit larger, frag off a nice piece from as far away as you can, just in case. In fact, you might want to take a small frag immediately, as insurance.

bob

The only thing I did these past couple of days was remove that rock in an attempt to pick off all the Caluerpa algae that was growing all over. Perhaps taking it out of the tank stressed the coral enough that it started RTN/STN?

I've cut off that piece with the RTN/STN. Should I frag off more pieces? or leave the rest? :(

I lost a HUGE colony of Oregon Tort before in one night. Hope the same doesnt happen to this piece. It looks so colorful!

Frag a piece for sure but before you throw in the towel please try putting crazy glue over the affected area. Pat the dead part dry with a paper towel then add theg lue up to where the coral is still alive. I've tried this and it worked for me. RTN stopped spreading and algae grew over the dead section. You could just cut that section off and try the glue on the affected frag and see if it continues to spread. Worst that could happen is that it will die. The best is that the RTN will stop spreading and you'll have frag to give me :biggrin: .

Rapid tissue necrosis/soft tissue necrosis. It's a sign of injury or disease. Something caused the tissue to start to die off.

for the rookie here....... what is rtn/stn?

Frag a piece for sure but before you throw in the towel please try putting crazy glue over the affected area. Pat the dead part dry with a paper towel then add theg lue up to where the coral is still alive. I've tried this and it worked for me. RTN stopped spreading and algae grew over the dead section. You could just cut that section off and try the glue on the affected frag and see if it continues to spread. Worst that could happen is that it will die. The best is that the RTN will stop spreading and you'll have frag to give me :biggrin: .

Sounds like a plan Jan! :)

Super Glue Jelly Time!

I have the same thing happening to a couple of my corals. It started when I added the Vortech MP40W. I think they were happier with the flow before. :(

Make sure you didn't change your flow or lights or something like that. The messed up thing is that it is happening to my green slimmer that looks otherwise super healthy. As a matter of fact it is growing new tips all over but RTNing at the base. We just know very little about coral diseases.

Definitely looks like signs of RTN'ing. Here is what happened to my GARF Purple Bonsai in 2 days after being stung by another SPS coral.

GARF-Bonsai-Dead.jpg

I'm so glad it worked. Really? I'm getting a frag of this? Thank you!

Jan, the super glue trick worked on that piece I fragged. Looks like you'll have a frag soon ;)

Magnetic1, you may already know this but there are red bugs all over that miami orchid. Red bugs alone aren't thought to kill corals, but they irritate them and may contribute to a coral dying.

Jon

magnetic1, they're most visible in your second photo, on the left side of the photo where the focus is sharpest. Zoom in and you'll see teeny yellow blobs with a dot of red. Once you've found a couple and know what you're looking for, it'll be easy to pick out lots of them. Fortunately they're one of the easiest pests to treat for.

I dont see redbugs?? you must have good eyes!

I do!

med_gallery_267_613_14915.jpg

O crap... not that you point them out... shiz.

Easy treatment as in remove all my snails and crabs and nuke the tank with Interceptor? and killing off other pods, etc?

Thanks for pointing them out in the photo.

O crap... not that you point them out... shiz.

Easy treatment as in remove all my snails and crabs and nuke the tank with Interceptor? and killing off other pods, etc?

Thanks for pointing them out in the photo.

Interceptor doesn't seem to bother snails - but will kill almost all of your hermits. (but not all, apparently - I still have a hermit running around in one of the tanks I nuked with it.)

Oddly enough - it was a photo I posted on WAMAS that showed me MY redbugs. Until you've looked at them a few times, they ARE very hard to see.

bob

So if left unchecked, these will for sure kill my SPS? or only if the SPS is stressed? I guess I can see if I can catch my Mandarin and Divided Leopard Wrasse. Those two are doing very well and Id hate to kill off their food supply.

I started looking closely at some other pieces and there is an infestation alright... (zoom in and look at the base of this acro by the red blasto) AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :eek: :cry:

CIMG1380.JPG

Edited by magnetic1