Which is safer and works best?

Jan

I have a patch of cyano that's getting bigger by the day. I've done it all; water chnages, direct flow, reduce lights and nothing. If anything it's getting worse. so I want to treat chmically before it gets totally out of control. I have a mixed reef with lots of inverts.

I'd like to hear from folks that have actually used one or both products in their system.

Edited by Jan

I used blue line and as I've said many times in the past, I think it's one of the best things I've ever put into my tank. Worked very well, one time, just follow the instructions.

I have a patch of cyano that's getting bigger by the day. I've done it all; water chnages, direct flow, reduce lights and nothing. If anything it's getting worse. so I want to treat chmically before it gets totally out of control. I have a mixed reef with lots of inverts.

I'd like to hear from folks that have actually used one or both products in their system.

I have personally never used the Red Slime remover, but have used Chemi Clean probably about 5 times over the last 10 years or so. Every time I used it, it worked well with no noticeable effect on my corals. This is just my experience, and I have no idea about the makeup or chemistry of it. I always did the water change that the instructions recommend about 10 mins. after treatment. We also used it in the fish store I worked at in college with success.

Really? And works well? How much would I need. I know you sell it so I'd get it from you.

prodibio is natural and better IME

Sean

About 3 years ago I used the Red slime remover on both my softy tank and my sps system. The softy tank needed it the most and I also wanted to test it out first. The stuff actually worked great, litterally clearing the issue up over night. A week later I dosed my 90 gal SPS tank due to a few small patches. I woke up the next morning to a tank full of dead coral. Everything was bleached with the flesh just hanging off. I can only assume this stuff killed something more than just the slime and started a chain reaction of death and eventually took out the tank over night. the only positive from this event was it really took care of my red bug problem I was having at the time. But then that didnt really matter.

Really? And works well? How much would I need. I know you sell it so I'd get it from you.

It takes a little while to really work but it does work very well and once you get the slime gone and your nutrient levels lowered you can reduce the frequency of dosing. I like using the bioptim and biodigest b/c when used together it actually raises ORP naturally.

What size tank do you have?

Sean

I have a 75 gallon w/a 20 gallon sump which is maybe 3/4 full. All in all approx 90 gallons.

It takes a little while to really work but it does work very well and once you get the slime gone and your nutrient levels lowered you can reduce the frequency of dosing. I like using the bioptim and biodigest b/c when used together it actually raises ORP naturally.

What size tank do you have?

Sean

I would use 1 of each of the bioptim and biodigest each week for a month then once every 2 weeks. if youre Lps and softies dont like it after 6 weeks then it means the water is too clean so cut back to once aq month

Sean

PS I use this stuff at least once a month on all maintenance tanks to keep things tidy.

...I want to treat chmically before it gets totally out of control.

Why not just be patient and wait for your tank to get in balance?

Cyano "cures" are just bandaids on the problem.

Instead of relying on quick fixes, keep basic tank params normal, and your cyano will vanish in a few months. No need for silly Bio- this or Pro- that.

-R

Edited by lancer99

.... just follow the instructions.

.....I would start with less than the instructions say, I used half what it said and it worked.

Typical of cyano "cures"...

-R

My parameters are always within normal limits, always. i'm constantly on top of husbandry. I've incresed water changes and reduced photo periods. The cyano is getting worse. This is why I'm leaning towards chemicals. I've heard more people than not say that they've been battling cyano for months. The thought of battling more than this for months frighteneds me. I Had no idea that these chemical products were quick fixes. So you've used them? You had Cyano and it just went away? How long did it take?

Why not just be patient and wait for your tank to get in balance?

Instead of relying on quick fixes, keep basic tank params normal, and your cyano will vanish in a few months. No need for silly Bio- this or Pro- that.

-R

-R

I'm going to have to disagree ENTIRELY. If your tank is like Jan's is, and mine was, something quick and easy like the blue life red slime remover will fix the problem for good. For some reason, sometimes the cyano just won't go away. If your tank isn't fully balanced, then yes, something like cyano remover will just be a bandaid.

Edited by L8 2 RISE

Typical of cyano "cures"...

-R

... I don't understand why cures is quoted. One of the quotes you picked out said that it WORKED.. that means it was a CURE. Also, what's wrong with following the instructions?

I used chemi clean at half the dosage the instructions called for on a mostly sps tank. Cyano cleared up with no ill effects on corals. Half dosage, no skimming, 50% water change after 48 hours and then run skimmer again. Your skimmer will go nuts for a few days, but that's expected.

Okay. Thank you. So you recommend 50% water change? This worked fine for you? The box says 20%. Why will the skimmer go nuts?

I used chemi clean at half the dosage the instructions called for on a mostly sps tank. Cyano cleared up with no ill effects on corals. Half dosage, no skimming, 50% water change after 48 hours and then run skimmer again. Your skimmer will go nuts for a few days, but that's expected.

Yesterday I added CHEMICLEAN at half dose as recommended by users on here and it's working great. Last night the cyano just blew right off. Today I have no signs of growth. Usually 1 hour after the lights come on I would see bubbles starting to form in the areas where the cyano was growing. No bubbles and lights have been on for 2 hours. So far so good. Water change and skimmer back on tommorrow. We'll see how it continues to go from there.

I really do appreciate all the input. Thank you.

ote name='Jan' date='Nov 20 2009, 11:36 AM' post='290238']

Edited by Jan

I would use 1 of each of the bioptim and biodigest each week for a month then once every 2 weeks. if youre Lps and softies dont like it after 6 weeks then it means the water is too clean so cut back to once aq month

Sean

PS I use this stuff at least once a month on all maintenance tanks to keep things tidy.

+1 - After I lost all my sps due to the heater breakage, I cut dosing brightwells (same concept) and my LPS/Zoas are growing great! (water is "dirtier)

Natural control of nutrient export seems to work a lot better for me than chemclean and the like.

I have a little algae now that I never had since I stopped dosing. So I assume once I resume dosing the algae will go away.

Where did you get the chemi clean from? I'm thinking of trying this myself, I've just exhausted all options.