So is it ok to....

trockafella

There are always going to be people that take advantage of the generosity of membership for their own personal gain. Personally, I don't like it and I admire the people out there who are ultra generous with what they have. That said, however, I feel like the club should reap the benefits of this type of generosity by being able to keep things within the club. I don't like it when someone buys here low and then sells elsewhere high, but I can't say that it's wrong, necessarily. If you have purchased something and then take the time and effort to grow it out, there's nothing wrong with that, but if you simply buy it and then resell it, then that's where the difference is between a member and a vendor. Not all vendors fit this category, but some of the resellers would qualify as a vendor under our definition and this could give people the ability to see that someone is in this as a business rather than as purely a hobbyist.

Dave - Could enough of this effect our status as a non-profit organization? I would hate to see the club have to suffer because of the actions of just one (or a select few) who are just out to make a buck.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave - Could enough of this effect our status as a non-profit organization? I would hate to see the club have to suffer because of the actions of just one (or a select few) who are just out to make a buck.

I think that as a club we don't do enough sales to do this, and these are taking place outside of the club, so I wouldn't think so. That said, anything that goes to an extreme could always have an affect on us, but even our sales are part of our mission as they encourage captive rearing and growth of marine animals.

I don't see how it could. The club isn't profitting in any way. And even if we did (raffles of LFS donated corals for example), there would be need to show we were not using the $$ towards the mission.

Not all vendors fit this category, but some of the resellers would qualify as a vendor under our definition and this could give people the ability to see that someone is in this as a business rather than as purely a hobbyist.

+1 Especially if they have a tax ID #

I feel mixed about this. I like to help out other members, especially new members, by giving away corals. When I joined, Michael Gerdes gave me a pile of corals, followed by another pile at a frag fest, and I was hooked on WAMAS ever since. People have been very generous, and I have tried to perpetuate that. I have occasionally sold frags of these corals when they have grown out. In one case, my jaw dropped when a local retailer offered me $300 cash for a hunk of Montipora I was happy to get rid of.

There

Well I wouldn't call giving corals away to others laziness. As you stated in your first paragraph you too were given a lot. I like to think of it as an act of kindness and show of hospitality towards our members.

There's also an element of laziness, in that it's simply easier to give most corals away than sell them.

Interesting subject. One reason i joined was I have several Leather frags and Xenia frags that I need to get rid of every couple of months. Just have to be careful who they are offered to. But I do feekl most people would do the right thing.

Well i am disappointed because 2 of the corals i sold to this person on Nov 7th are on the CL list.

whatever, i will no longer sell to that person.

so if i drive out to bristow and get some corals. and pay 30$ each for the 2 pieces that i got from you and then get a shipment in and decide to get rid of some corals that i didnt like as much as the new ones and sell them back out for 35$ each that is some big wamas crime. so basically cuz i dont keep a coral that i purchased from you to do whatever i want with it for 6 months an decide to sell them back out for whatever reason i chose that its any of your business what i do with them after purchased from you. you gave me nothing for free. and i didnt sell anything that i had received for free. i think an extra 5 bucks on top is still a good deal for any craigslister that didnt spend the 20$ to become a wamas member. all of you judging and dont even know what happened. im not on here getting free items and charging people for them nor am i charging double what i got it for that extra 5 bucks pays for the 2 hours and gas money i spent to go get the corals and i also kept the other 2 items i bought from you and plan on keeping them.... so please people mind you own business and get a life. step outside and get some fresh air

Get corals on here for free or purchase and turn around and sell them on CL..? I guess ethically its not, but there is no rule... Just noticed a certain someone who is buying up a lot of things and turning around and reselling on CL for more... Just thought I would mention that bc I know some members dont care for it, including myself, especially if it was given away for free.. So I guess we ought to pay more attention to who we sell to...

and to you trockafella that valida that you gave me is not the one for sale. the one i have for sale is a small colony purchased from ddiver for 40$ he can vouch for that. i still have both the coral i got from you. and i will be keeping that brown valida i got from you for a while. so hope that clears it up for you

Edited by mrphatstacks

Wow, outs himself..... I'm glad that we've gotten both sides of the story and so can all make our own decisions about who to deal with in the future. Shame on ALL of you who keep screwing this poor guy.....

Good discussion, and I still think that the fine line between vendor and member is something that our poor leaders are going to have to deal with.... ;)

Edited by Hilary

Mrphatstacks, Thanks for chiming in and clearing some things up for me. Although I have never meet you, after hearing your side I actually agree with you, it is no ones business and posts like this just bring a bad mood to the whole club. A simple PM to you could have cleared the whole thing up. 10 years I have been with WAMAS and a couple times a year a post like this pops up that was never needed. If you bought it then it is yours to do what you want with it. You were asking what you paid for it plus the time/gas to go it, basically what you had invested in it.

I am sure I made some enemies posting this but oh well.

Edited by Coral Hind

+1

Wow, outs himself..... I'm glad that we've gotten both sides of the story and so can all make our own decisions about who to deal with in the future.

Good discussion, and I still think that the fine line between vendor and member is something that our poor leaders are going to have to deal with.... ;)

i'm not gonna take sides because i don't know enough details to come to a conclusion but in his defense he does have a point, he did put in the time and effort to get these things and i looked it up on craigslist and his prices are fairly low...

and FWIW, he did pick up a vlida colony from me a few weeks back for the same price he's asking..

Edited by DDiver

Mrphatstacks, Thanks for chiming in and clearing some things up for me. Although I have never meet you, after hearing your side I actually agree with you, it is no ones business and posts like this just bring a bad mood to the whole club. A simple PM to you could have cleared the whole thing up. 10 years I have been with WAMAS and a couple times a year a post like this pops up that was never needed. If you bought it then it is yours to do what you want with it. You were asking what you paid for it plus the time/gas to go it, basically what you had invested in it.

I am sure I made some enemies posting this but oh well.

+1

I agree with some of these posts, and maybe this particular instance was a misunderstanding, but I have seen a couple of people buying large quantities of corals/equipment etc and reselling them. I just think that if you use this board to get good deals on livestock and equipment with intent to resell that's wrong and your status should be changed.

This post is an example of why I thought it was an unspoken rule that corals gotten as freebies are not supposed to be sold by the receiver.

hold on here. Now i feel like a huge A$$. I had no idea this was happening til this post. I did not search it out. I am assuming that my sale to him was not the only thing on the list. I was disappointed to see what he posted as WTB post here for those ORA corals and then to sell them to him with some other corals at a nice package deal. Including a purple monster frag for well below its value. Then to see my frags on another forum and not here so quickly.

This is not a me vs him. yes they are his coral once they left my house. I did not bring his name up but he used our transaction as an example and now i feel like it is being use as the only 1.

again i was just disappointed when i saw this post and my frags were included that i sold him less than 2 weeks ago because he posted a wtb.

Rocko im wth you, and I believe most good hobbyists are too, everyone on here loves to flip flop back n forth, your all just as gulty bc you had to know, and now you all feel gulty so you wanna pont the finger elsewhere... You can say shame on us, but we know what he did/does and if your ok with that you all sell to him and feed his business, I could care less if u become partners with him, but some of us dont and we have the right to be aware.. I started the post, not rocko, so put the blame on me, I am happly taking credit...