I just found my emerald crabs releasing eggs and spawning

Jan

Every night I check my tank to see what everything is up to. I found one of my emerald Mathrix crabs straddled ontop of my lobo frag with its belly flap opened. I wasn't sure of what I was seeing and then all of a suddend she moved her belly flap up and down and let out her eggs. she did this about 3 times. Then I noticed the male standing behind her and he let out a few clouds of, I'm guessing, sperm. By the time I got my crappy camera she moved a little lower but her abdominal flap was still open.

In this pic the female is the smaller darker of the two. You can see her abdominal flap opened. The male is the large lighter green behind her.

Fishtank005.jpg

Fishtank009.jpg

By the time I got my camera she finished releasing her eggs. There are hundreds of tiny particles floating around in my tank. My corals are wide open. Fresh live food!

How exciting! These are the things I absolutely love about this hobby.

LOL, shhh i've got a nice little business going here.

Are you running a brothel over there? Seems like every other post is about something spawning or laying eggs ....

Are you running a brothel over there? Seems like every other post is about something spawning or laying eggs ....

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Wild life among the wildlife!

• 2 weeks later...

just saw the same thing in my tank.

only difference is that there is only one crab, and what was released was swimming fry.

got a couple in a container with some phyto and will see if there is any way to get them to grow bigger.

just saw the same thing in my tank.

only difference is that there is only one crab, and what was released was swimming fry.

got a couple in a container with some phyto and will see if there is any way to get them to grow bigger.

Awesome.

Try feeding them some rotifers. I have some if you need any.

Mine probably released fry too. I just couldn't see them. I scooped some up and placed them in my fuge and still nothing :sad: . Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Jan