Hair Algae Eaters!?

Reefoholic

Hey,

What are good options for hair algae eaters for a 14 gal tank? I know I can't do tangs but I would love to have some grazing fish. I love watching them picking at rocks... :rolleyes:

Ideas? Suggestions?

Mehmet

Agreed any of the lawnmower/algae blenny family, I have a Starry because they don't get as large as the lawnmower which might be better for you in a 14g tank. I think he was around $25 when I got him from Centreville aquarium.

algea blenny. they do great and would be perfect for the 14 gallon tank. pls they are fairly inexpensive. I think under $20

I've heard lawnmower blennies can be hit or miss though, maybe I'm just misinformed. However mexican turbos will do the trick, but they will knock over anything that isn't secure. If you've got a frag rack, they will drive you crazy. The sea hares do work well but they eat nonstop and once the algae is gone they pretty much die within days, only thing I can think of would be to pass it on to another member in need.

I've tried the blenny and the seahare. I have several types of HA growing unfortunately and they don't touch any of it. Maybe some have had better luck than I. I have also tried raising mag to 1600 and alk to 13dkh I believe it was. Nothing helped. I have never heard of raising the calcium, that's a new one. My top off water comes from an RO system from my LFS. Many have advised me my problem is most likely due to my water source. I've recently installed a 5 stage RO/DI system from Bulk Reef. I plan on doing several large water changes initially and then in the future 20% changes every week and all top off water obviously coming from my new RO/DI system.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I am having good luck with a tux urchin. I have to stil siphon the hair algae but the urchin is eating it too. I may just get another tux urching. Try looking at the Julian Sprun Algae problem solvers guide for helpful hints. Kent Tech-M is supposed to help too. Have you checked Mg levels?