Aquatic Obsession.......a huge disappointment

steveoutlaw

So, I got burned today.....I thought I'd give a new store a try. I called aquatic obsession and asked if they had a pair of true percs or a pair of oscellaris clowns in stock and was told yes to both. I wanted to drive out and see the store anyway so I headed out. I got there and most of the tanks were empty or had a couple of pieces of rock in them. The lights weren't working in half the tanks and I started thinking that this was a mistake. So I walked around and saw a clown here and there. When I finally asked I was told that most of the pairs were already sold, but he had a nice pair of misbars that he'd sell me for $119.00. 119.00? For a clown with only 1/2 of one stripe and the other with 1-1/2 stripes. What a joke! Now I was sure I had made a mistake.

Anyway, lesson learned......I'm sticking with BRK from now on.

Eh... he's really just getting started. I think he had a small local customer population in the other place; he only had about 30 square feet to fill up. Now he is a little better known, and in a much easier to find location - it will probably take him a while to figure out how much he needs to stock, and how much he can charge for things. He had the cheapest price around on Revive last week. He has a few corals that are badly overpriced - and some that seem quite cheap. He has a rock with about a dozen Dendro's on it - he wanted $400. Which seems pretty close to accurate.

bob

Eh... he's really just getting started. I think he had a small local customer population in the other place; he only had about 30 square feet to fill up. Now he is a little better known, and in a much easier to find location - it will probably take him a while to figure out how much he needs to stock, and how much he can charge for things. He had the cheapest price around on Revive last week. He has a few corals that are badly overpriced - and some that seem quite cheap. He has a rock with about a dozen Dendro's on it - he wanted $400. Which seems pretty close to accurate.

bob

+1

I think the store has a lot of potential. The FW section is pretty impressive...Im sure the SW will catch up as well. I've bought dry goods from them at a very fair price and plan to continue visiting the store to see how things progress with their livestock.

I can't speak to the dry goods because I didn't hang around that long. I understand it's a new store, but when someone calls in and asks for a specific item, is told that item will be there, and is given the used car salesman song and dance when he gets there? That's a problem. I gave them a chance and they disappointed........let's see what they do to learn from it.

BTW - you can find normal misbar clowns for $50 a pair.....even cheaper in some places. That's what really pissed me off......that he tried to rip me off......and that he told me he had something in stock that he didn't just to get me out there.

bob

+1 on the newness. Just getting started. I talked to one guy about how his proces on livestock were non-competitive and he said they were still working on pricing and cut me a break on a fish. Maybe you had the FW guy on the phone, I dunno. I see alot of potential. Oh, and 3 mins from my house is nice :clap:

BTW - you can find normal misbar clowns for $50 a pair.....even cheaper in some places. That's what really pissed me off......that he tried to rip me off......and that he told me he had something in stock that he didn't just to get me out there.

the price is priced according to what they think or however they come up with it, but i wouldnt say ripping off. also, if you talk to them a little, (i talked to brian for over 30 minutes), he said that they know some items are over priced and are working on it to be more competitive. and they definitely will work with you if you just give them a chance. after talking to Brian for half an hour, i decided to buy some corals, they had several 3-4in rock with about a dozen or so ricordias on each, i only wanted two on two different rock, they said ok,and took 15 minutes cutting the one i wanted off for me. so, just for that, i think they are pretty good.

but telling you something is in stock but wasnt. =( maybe one employee told you it was, but a different employee sold it. who knows.

i've been there twice, first time, about 4-5 weeks ago, they were still putting the store together, half the tank didnt even have water in it. The second time, last week, they were about 1/4 stocked up, so, i'm sure they are still working to get the store up and running, i would give them another chance again in 2 or so months when they are fully stocked.

Edited by hlem

+1 on the newness. Just getting started. I talked to one guy about how his proces on livestock were non-competitive and he said they were still working on pricing and cut me a break on a fish. Maybe you had the FW guy on the phone, I dunno. I see alot of potential. Oh, and 3 mins from my house is nice :clap:

3 minutes? What... you got one of those remote controls for the traffic light in front of Wal-Mart?

bob