Help out a newbie... DE MH light bulbs...

lanman

I had to practically use a hammer to get it in... now how do I get a 250W DE MH bulb OUT of the fixture??

Grab it by the glass and yank? Use a screwdriver or something??

I haven't tried yet - so maybe it just pops right out at the slightest touch. But I don't THINK that's going to happen!

Thanks,

bob

I wait until the bulb has been off for several hours and cooled. Then I hold it with a towel and turn it a quarter of a way for it to pop out.

Hmm... it turns, eh? Different kind of holder? Mine has no space to turn; it has ceramic blocks on the end that fit into ceramic slots - with very little space.

Like this:

mhlight.jpg

bob

Edited by lanman

THats the same fixture I have. When you take it down to change bulbs pull one end out just slightly then the other back and forth till its out. You should use just a tiny amount of white lithium grease on the new bulbs connection(the copper part)

and the new bulb will slide right in. I would like to buy a frag from you so I could help whenever I am there if you need it.

I had to change out the ceramic fitting where the bulb goes into twice and have ordered parts direct from aquamedic.

Once it was corroded and green(cupric oxide?) The wiring on these fixtures are rated for a higher celsius then I could find for sale anywhere.

David

I just replaced 4) 250 De's and broke one of the old ones and 4) 400 DE's and broke one of the new ones. They are a royal PITA to get in and out. Do yourself a flavor and get Mogul base instead.

Thanks for the suggestions!! I got it! Emergency over!

Well - the physical emergency... I'm beginning to wonder at my mental state.

Frag Tank #4 is about to come online...

Newtank.jpg

bob

That sucks! I guess I could have checked to see if it even worked before I brought it down, then I probably would have posted for help ;)

I use a thin blade screwdriver and stick it in the far side and push towards the light while lifting it up, then do the other side a little, and go back and forth.

I guess I should try the dialectric grease thing on my fixture so it won't cease up like that. I just changed a couple bulbs yesterday though :/

That sucks! I guess I could have checked to see if it even worked before I brought it down, then I probably would have posted for help ;)

I use a thin blade screwdriver and stick it in the far side and push towards the light while lifting it up, then do the other side a little, and go back and forth.

I guess I should try the dialectric grease thing on my fixture so it won't cease up like that. I just changed a couple bulbs yesterday though :/

No problem - the light bulb you gave me even works. I tried it before I switched over to a new 10K Ushio. However - now I have to order a 14K; see if I don't like it a little bluer.

bob

put on exam gloves. latex or other wise and pull on the outer edges of the bulbs as close to the "bases" as you can try not to stress the glass too much and give it a good pull. I'm not responsible if you shatter the bulb and slice your hands all up. thats just how i;ve done it with stubborn bulbs. I wouldn't try to pry or manipulate with tools if you can avoid it due to the ceramics involved. good luck bob

Newtank.jpg

I don't think Bob is addicted to this hobby at all :biggrin:

Nice set up Bob.....I'm just jealous of all that room.

I don't think Bob is addicted to this hobby at all :biggrin:

Nice set up Bob.....I'm just jealous of all that room.

I've had plenty of room - ever since my wife left. I use her half of the house for my hobbies. :)

I THINK that is it for now. Until I see an incredible deal on a 400-gallon tank again.

bob

No problem - the light bulb you gave me even works. I tried it before I switched over to a new 10K Ushio. However - now I have to order a 14K; see if I don't like it a little bluer.

bob

Hey Bob! If you end up getting something bluer the Phenix 14k's look real nice on that fixture. I just switched to the Megachrome's but had the phenix's in before and loved them. :) By the way I just had to change out the sockets on my aquamedic fixture and it was a pain!

I run Phoenix's and love them - if I had an old one I would have thrown that in the box instead so you could at least see what they look like.

The 13ab's are way too yellow for me. They made my walls even look funny!

The 14's are more of a crisp white. You have to add actinics for the bluish if you want it.

At least to my eyes ;)

I will have my old phoenix available tomorrow after I put in the replacement megacrome in that should be at my house today. If you want you can have that to see how it looks? The bulb is less than a year old but I am not sure exacly how old it is but it will give you an idea of the way it looks. If you want it pm me and let me know. :)