water

angel not fish

:cry: I am using a natural sea water, for a while, but my nitrate is always around 40.

This last weekend my skimmer pump got cough and skimmer stopped working.

The nitrate jumped up and just killed my flame angel.

I made a major water change mixing salt in ro water. But my mix was not that good, because a bought a safe ph, the one that is "supposed" stabilize in 8.3, so a added it a lot, thinkhing, is better more than less - is safe.

When I look, my hippo blue tang (the one with ich) was gone.

I check and the ph was bright purple.

I added more water. At this time the salinity drop and I saw the foxface suffering.

I fast added salt.

Was a water - nightmare this weekend.

How is the water to be done ?

In a bucket and tested before added ?

How long a water can be stored ?

I Think my nitrate was high because of so many bacterias that comes in the natural sea water .

I do have a 34g red sea max.

Hey guys, remember, I am just a egg ( a broke egg) - learning.

go to a fish store and buy some saltwater to fix it for now...

look into a way to make your own saltwater.... most use RO/DI units and salt mix...

Where do you live that you can get natural sea water?

I started by purchaing bottled water. I kept the containers and then purchased a Typhoon III from AWI. In no time at all it saved me money. I was paying $25.00 every other week for bottled water. It was crazy. I mix my own now. I use x2 5 gallon buckets. Fill them up with water. Add the mix to SG 1.025. It takes 5.5 cups of salt to make one of my 5 gallon pails of water. Some people mark the buckets/containers with thenumber of cups. i;m not that organized yet. I check SG with a hydrometer. Add a powerhead to the buckets and let it run for a couple of days. Then I store the mixed water in empty plastic water containers for use when I change water. I also keep some water stored in case of emergency.

Sea water has a lot of bad stuff and some good stuff. I'd imagine you'd also have some die off if you don;t have the right support. Never add salt directly to the tank. It's too caustic. Always mix seperately and make sure that it's at the right SG.

:cry: I am using a natural sea water, for a while, but my nitrate is always around 40.

This last weekend my skimmer pump got cough and skimmer stopped working.

The nitrate jumped up and just killed my flame angel.

I made a major water change mixing salt in ro water. But my mix was not that good, because a bought a safe ph, the one that is "supposed" stabilize in 8.3, so a added it a lot, thinkhing, is better more than less - is safe.

When I look, my hippo blue tang (the one with ich) was gone.

I check and the ph was bright purple.

I added more water. At this time the salinity drop and I saw the foxface suffering.

I fast added salt.

Was a water - nightmare this weekend.

How is the water to be done ?

In a bucket and tested before added ?

How long a water can be stored ?

I Think my nitrate was high because of so many bacterias that comes in the natural sea water .

I do have a 34g red sea max.

Hey guys, remember, I am just a egg ( a broke egg) - learning.

Not trying to sound mean, but you really need to have some more knowledge before trying to keep fish. You really need to get a good book on basic aquarium husbandry before you buy more fish. I'm sure the local library even has some. Read lots of books about fishkeeping and you will be rewarded many times over when you make careful, well thought out purchases of fish, r/o water, salt, and test kits.

I always mix in a separate container and let it sit 2 days with the powerhead running before adding it to any tank. I've found that slightly rounded 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of RODI gets me close to a salinity of 1.025. Make sure that you're checking salinity!

Not trying to sound mean, but you really need to have some more knowledge before trying to keep fish. You really need to get a good book on basic aquarium husbandry before you buy more fish. I'm sure the local library even has some. Read lots of books about fishkeeping and you will be rewarded many times over when you make careful, well thought out purchases of fish, r/o water, salt, and test kits.

I have to agree here.......You just said you had a Hippo tang, a foxface and a flame angel in a 34g Red Sea? Some would argue that your tank is too small for ANY of those fish. I would say an experienced reefer could keep the flame angel in a 34g, but a hippo tang and a foxface need a 4 foot tank to swim, not a 20" tank.

Read, read, and then read some more:

IMG_0960.jpg

PS - Don't try this in a 34g

Moved to the appropriate forum.

As far as adding water, you have to let it mix for about 24 hours and aerate or it will cause plenty of problems for your fish.

I have been mixing salt and leaving it in Instant Ocean tub for a week before using it. No aeration, is this a problem ?

How many days should you leave newly created salt with no aeration before using it ?