new tank build

zygote2k

As long as the bottom wall's top plate, which the tank will be sitting on, is as wide as the tank's bottom and strong enough to prevent any flexing then I see no major issues. You will have to make the wall very sturdy and solidly anhored as it will be more likely tip then a wider stand would.

Edited by Coral Hind

I thought I read somewhere (I could be completely wrong though) that the tank edges receive the majority of stress (lateral + horizontal force?). Since the edges will be "floating" is there an increased chance the seams will give out? I love the idea though....It'll look amazing if you're able to pull it off!

Yes- acrylic. 2" on either side will hang over and about 6" in the front. I was wondering if the acrylic will be strong enough by itself or if it needs an additional platform underneath? Should I go barebottom or sand?

Tank cannot overhang the stand. The entire bottom perimeter must be supported. In most cases the tank must sit on a solid supported surface or most mfg.s won't warranty the tank. If the bottom is beefed up however you could do some ribbing to support the bottom but, the perimeter must be fully supported.

Tank cannot overhang the stand. The entire bottom perimeter must be supported. In most cases the tank must sit on a solid supported surface or most mfg.s won't warranty the tank. If the bottom is beefed up however you could do some ribbing to support the bottom but, the perimeter must be fully supported.

do the sides of an acylic tank rest on the bottom pane?

do the sides of an acylic tank rest on the bottom pane?

My understanding is that a well put together acrylic tank essentially becomes seamless, so it's really one giant piece of acrylic, hence its strength. On the other hand, though, it's flexible, so if you don't fully support the bottom it will flex and the seams that are now joined could rip apart due to the massive pressure being put on them. I wouldn't let it float as the weight is equally distributed across the entire bottom sheet of acrylic rather than like in a glass tank where the edges hold the weight. Acrylic that is unsupported will bow out and then weaken the seams, despite them becoming seamless. If you go with this design, add a very solid platform to the bottom. I would actually suggest cutting out the wall below and extending the wall out to meet the tank at that point.

Could you use a very thick piece of acrylic as the base to sit it on instead of a piece of wood? That would still give a floating effect.

bob

Put 2x 3/4" ply under the tank and cantilever the frame of the stand.

That is a good suggestion. If I were to be building this tank my preference would be to see a granite top that the tank sits on. That way Iwould be comfortable knowing that there would not be any flex. If I could not have that and since the tank is 30" tall with a lot of weight per sq. ft. I'd want the bottom piece to be 1.25" thick and have the two 3/4" sheets of plywood. I have seen tanks over the last 17 or so years that have been put on pretty funky stand setups. When removed some tanks can't even sit upright due to the bottom being all bowed and disfigured but, they are still able to hold water.

In the end odds are your going to be ok but, a mfg. is not going to warranty the tank unless the stand is appropriate. In addition, if you go to mfg.s websites most won't do a real warranty unless it's on their own stand. I'd suggest that whoever makes your tank that you have them sign off on the stand and provide some drawings that they can sign off on. Your really likely are going ot have to have that bottom piece of the tank beefed up or that top deck of the stand beefed.