color comparison day 14

treesprite

(edited)

I superimposed a section of a picture from yesterday onto a picture from the day after I started dosing Prodibio. As a way of checking color variance between pictures taken of the green & orange caps on different days, I made a red "circle" around a spot of coraline on the new picture section and a spot of coraline on the original picture.

The section on the green & orange caps picture includes a part of greren cap, liverock, and part of orange cap.

capssuperimposedday14.jpg

The idaho grape perhaps you can see the color line between the superimposed new pic section and the old picture.

grapesuperimposedD14.jpg

Edited by treesprite

(edited)

The "after" shots are sections layed over the original pictures to see the contrast better than switching eyes between before pictures and after pictures.

In the first picture:

The inserted "after" section spans from the right side of the green cap to the left section of the orange cap, including the section of liverock in between.

- The red circle in the center is a spot of coraline on the "after" picture, while the circle on the right is of the orignal "before" picture - I did that to give some kind of validity to the color difference of the corals

- The green in the green cap really is a bright green, but the brightness didn't come out in the picture. However, at least you can see that there is a color change going on.

- The orange cap hasn't really changed much.

In the second picture:

The inserted section of the "after" picture is the left side of the Idaho grape, which is a bit more red compared to the right side of the coral in the original picture. It's kind of tricky, because the edges were already more colored than the rest of the coral in the original picture, since I had dosed vodka for a couple weeks and it allowed the new growth to be more colored but did nothing for the original coral body.

The Idaho grape lets us compare the coloration effects of vodka dosing versus the coloration effects of Prodibio dosing. The vodka dosing did not change the coral's coloration, it just allowed the coral to grow out in a more natural color, whereas the Prodibio dosing actually changed the color of the original coral

Edited by treesprite

This is almost like the 3D pictures! It takes a while to figure it out. I think I see it now... oh wait, I don't.... wait I second I think I do!!! Oh nevermind... I don't see it!!

LOL :)

I think I figured it out but the slight color differences could be cause by the camera's automatic settings if they were turned on.

You guys posted while I was editing my post... I explained it more.

Regarding camera settings, I have the automatic adjustment stuff turned off, including the flash, because I honestly don't really know how to use the camera settings. I took both the before pictures with the camera down a notch in darkness so I did the same for the new pictures and will have to keep doing that now otherwise there's no comparison.

:blink:

Huh?

I'm totally lost.

How about a simple before and after instead of a layered effect that doesn't really explain anything? :wacko:

Makes more sense to me

I have been trying to find the whole versions of the "after" pictures - I think I edited them off the camera drive without saving them, and I already cleared the camera. I'll do them separate next time instead of trying to be clever.

Make sure that lighting in addition to camera settings stays exactly the same. Ideally, shoot at night with only the tank lights on. There can be a pretty big difference in color temperature between tank light and room light and even tank light and natural light.

Make sure that lighting in addition to camera settings stays exactly the same. Ideally, shoot at night with only the tank lights on. There can be a pretty big difference in color temperature between tank light and room light and even tank light and natural light.

Wow, that's a good suggestion. I can't remember what the room lights were the first time. Sometimes I turn off the room lights if I tank a pic of the whole tank because of the reflections, then anything specific I just let the lights stay off... but if I'm only taking pics of specific things I don't bother with the room lights.