Closest LFS to Olney

Mountaineer

Depends on where in Olney. If you are talking somewhere close to GA Ave, or to the east of GA Ave, Aquarium One is closer. If you are talking someplace around Heritage Hills, Bowie Mill, & that area, then the closest is Tropical Fish World.

From GA Ave to Aq One - go S on GA to Rt 28 (Norbeck Rd). Make a right on Norbeck, go all the way down to Viersmill and turn left on Viersmill. Turn Right onto Edmonston. While on Edmonston, cross Rockville Pike - that takes you right to Wintergreen Plaza where Aq One is (large shopping center, has a Bloom).

From Rt 108 (Olney-Sandy Spring Rd) if you are facing the direction of GA Av.... turn right onto EITHER Bowie Mill Rd OR Muncaster Rd (whichever is closer... they run parallel to each other). Make a right turn onto Muncaster Mill Rd Go up a couple lights to Shady Grove Rd (fire station is on the corner). Turn left onto Shady Grove. Go all the way up Shady Grove Rd to Rt 355. Make a right turn onto 355, about a block up is Walnut Hill shopping center on your right hand side - TFW is in there (the shopping center with Bottom Dollar in it)

Last time I was in Congressional to spy on their service, which was only a couple weeks ago, the sales guy was trying to sell corals to a noob; he told the customer - WITHOUT telling him other methods to control nutrients (like fuge/macros/DSB) - that people do not need protien skimmers. I wanted to wait for him to come out of the store so I could give him WAMAS info, but I ran out of things to look at while waiting.... went to my REAL destination on my journey down the pike, which was Aquarium One.

TFW and Aq One are about 15 or 20 minutes, TL is about 45 minutes.

Sorry :lol2: If you game at all, check it out, easily one of the best RPGs of the past few years, and enough content to last you months.

Regarding your original question, the two near there that I've been to are Congressional and Aquarium One. Congressional I'm split on. They have some interesting stuff, but I've also seen a lot of sick and overly thin fish, plus some stuff that I'm not sure is questionable or not, like nudibranches. Plus they sell wild caught banggai cardinals, which IMO should not be done, but perhaps that's just me. Plus I get the sense whenever I talk to employees that they would rather sell me stuff I don't need than genuinely help me.

Aquarium One, which is right down the street, I like better. They have some very nice frag tanks. Also, it is probably too far away for you, but I highly highly recommend Blue Ribbon Koi in Manassas.

Congressional gets boycotted to some extent for selling fw fish that have been altered, i.e. mutiliated with scraped off scales and die injections. The fact that they sell those fish, which usually live very short lives or at best suffer considerably without dying, indicates that the owner of the store doesn't give a dang about the well being of the animals he is selling.

I went in there a couple weeks ago just because I was passing it (was on my way to Aquarium One, had no intention of purchase from Congressional). A sales guy was trying to sell corals to a noob, and, without giving the customer any information at all about methods of nutrient export (i.e., refugiums, macros, DSB, etc), that people do not need protien skimmers for reef tanks. Granted, a person can do quite well without a skimmer if other methods are used, but the salesclerk didn't give that info to the customer, he just wanted a sale. I believe he did talk the customer into buying the corals before I left. I wanted to hang around so that I could give the customer WAMAS info when he came out of the store, but it was taking too long and sitting in my car for more than a few minutes may have seemed really "sketchy" or at least weird.

They also told me a couple years ago that green brittle stars are peaceful, when in fact they are notorious predators. The only good thing I can say is that they have a nice selection of dry goods.

I would not go to congressional if it was the last place on earth.

They perform some very shady business, including but not limited to:

-selling dyed anemones,

-selling sick fish, (but you can't tell because they keep a steady level of copper in their fish tanks)

-misinforming customers, ie: telling noobs that scooter blennies WILL eat frozen foods.

-selling questionable livestock, ie: shark eggs, unknown nudibranches (diet unknown, bound to starve.)

-more expensive than other area LFS.

I would check out Tropical Lagoon if I were you. They have some of the best prices and sometimes get very interesting items in. Plus, if you deal with the owner (Steve), he will usually make some kind of deal for you if you purchase multiple items. Their fish are some of the healthiest around IME.

Good luck on your move.

I see I'm not the only one then, and I guess the "interesting" stuff I've seen there is stuff I have not seen at other more responsible stores. They almost always have small greyish nudibranches, but the last time I was there there were some very very pretty purple and yellow ones. I wonder what I would have been told if I asked about them.

I use to live in Olney and Tropical Lagoon is straight down Georgia Ave. about 20min. with good traffic and 30 minutes heavy traffic. My oppinion is they are your best bet.

Thanks for all of the advice. I am not looking forward to making the move (265 gallon display plus a couple of others) but glad to see I have so many options.

Thanks for all of the advice. I am not looking forward to making the move (265 gallon display plus a couple of others) but glad to see I have so many options.

I am just down Ga ave from Olney, maybe 5-10 minutes. Let me know if you need help setting up after the move.

I am just down Ga ave from Olney, maybe 5-10 minutes. Let me know if you need help setting up after the move.

THANKS! It will be nice to have a fellow reefer so close. Right now I'm wrestling with the idea of the 265 on the main floor instead of the basement. I have never had a tank anywhere but on a concrete slab, and I have concerns over the weight supported on anything else. If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate that for sure.

THANKS! It will be nice to have a fellow reefer so close. Right now I'm wrestling with the idea of the 265 on the main floor instead of the basement. I have never had a tank anywhere but on a concrete slab, and I have concerns over the weight supported on anything else. If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate that for sure.

Do some searches on here and the general web. I think the consensus is if the tank runs perpendicular to the floor joists you should be okay. Assuming the house is reasonably well built.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/5/beginner#h1

I remember someone asking this same question on here and got advice from several engineers & contractors in the club.

• 1 month later...

I'm all moved in!!! Not really.....still in some boxes, but I do have a few tanks up and running (Waiting to do the 265 when I get more settled in).

I did check out a few stores and was shocked that the ones I tried did not sell pre-mixed saltwater. I usually make my own, but was willing to buy some as a matter of convenience during the move.

I have my RODI and saltwater mix tank up and running, and soon should be ready to get things completely set up.

I can't wait to check out a few more of these stores when I'm completely set up and feel comfortable making some new additions.

Great to hear! Send me a PM when you get around to the 265. I'll come give you a hand. Looking forward to having another "large scale" reefer near me!

I also have 400-600 gal of new saltwater on hand most of the time.

Justin

Great to hear! Send me a PM when you get around to the 265. I'll come give you a hand. Looking forward to having another "large scale" reefer near me!

I also have 400-600 gal of new saltwater on hand most of the time.

Justin

Thanks and will do! I am so looking forward to getting it back up and running, but it may take me a few months realistically to get around to it.

Greetings,

If I were you I would definitely reinforce the floor before putting a 265 on it.

I reinforced mine when I put in a 125 (perpendicular to the joists and against a bearing wall). It was easy to do, and saved me a lot of worrying.

I have read many articles, and like this one the best: LINK

Strongly suggest reading it carefully (which will take some time and effort)

Note it says:

"If your tank is over 125 gallons, then it is likely that you should consider adding supports under your wood framed floor."

Since yours is more than twice that much...

So, did you move to the side of Olney closer to Silver Spring, or the side closer to Rockville/Derwood? I was thinking of the side closer to Rockville/Derwood when I was mentioning shops, forgot Onley's boundaries for a bit.