My 20L

MKNTRAXX

(edited)

So here is my first attempt at saltwater.

Equipment list so far

20L from petco sale a while ago.

2X AC110's 1 fuge, 1 holds extra live rock

2X Stealth 50watt heaters

2X Koralia 1's

TEK 4x24watt 30" T5HO light

Refractometer

And other basics for starting and maintaining a tank that ill add later and have pictures of

The stand is an old computer desk I had my uncle make from solid Oak, its now painted black and has a Light rack I built for it. The light holder is made up of two pieces of 1/2"x 1/2" square tube steel that I bent and welded together. I'll hide a few things under the stand as build a curtain to make it look clean.

couple pictures of the start

30LBS sand

27LBS Live rock

The stand

th_001.jpg

Started adding rock

th_100_0162.jpg

FTS

th_001-1.jpg

th_002-1.jpg

First colorful thing to look at

th_006.jpg

Side shot

th_007.jpg

Edited by MKNTRAXX

Good start. What are your plans for it eventually? I'm sure Lynn and I can stock you up when you're ready for corals.

(edited)

6/03/09 pictures

th_100_0691.jpg

th_100_0692.jpg

Plans are to keep this going till I move into my new place... then it'll be time to upgrade. All of the corals in here has been from Lynn so far

I lost my True perc yesterday so I just my Bicolor blenny right now till I find another small Clownfish

Edited by MKNTRAXX

6/03/09 pictures

th_100_0691.jpg

th_100_0692.jpg

Plans are to keep this going till I move into my new place... then it'll be time to upgrade. All of the corals in here has been from Lynn so far

I lost my True perc yesterday so I just my Bicolor blenny right now till I find another small Clownfish

Looking good. LMK if you need anything.

Lynn

• 3 weeks later...

Nice start. Stabilizing your parameters / chemistry would be my next objective.

Are you running an open top or closed? It looks closed with that strip lamp on the back. A closed top will interfere with lighting as vapor condenses on the top and salt deposits form. I'd probably run it open. You'll get better lighting and more efficient oxygen transfer.

Then, since you'll be running open top and have a 20L (with a higher surface area to volume ratio than many tanks), evaporation will be behind some parameter fluctuation. To that end, I would probably add an ATO next to give your system some stability. Add kalkwasser powder to the ATO reservoir and you'll be replenishing alkalinity and calcium, too. This will benefit any skeleton-forming corals that you might try.

Have fun!

New pictures

Big thanks to Lynn (lhcorals) and Jessy (Ziggy953's Wife) for the new additions.

FTS

100_0701.jpg

New Duncan thanks to Jessy

100_0717.jpg

Birds Nest, Pink/Purple Pocillopora, Hydnophora,Briaruem, frogspawn, green ric,

100_0706.jpg

Xeina, Hammer, shrooms, zoas still have to identify

100_0705.jpg

100_0714.jpg

100_0715.jpg

Next thing to do is get some epoxy and get the rocks glued where I like them so i can start mounting things to them.

Looking really good Richard. Glad i could help you out with the frags. LMK if you need anything else. Dont forget to get in touch with me and bring some of your tank water over so we can check out what we discussed.

Lynn