Your Ideal Levels

Nate

So I decided to put more effort into keeping healthy water conditions. More specifically the level and ratio of calcium/magnesium/alkalinity. I was wondering what everyone else thinks is "ideal." I have set my goal as Calcium @ 420 ppm, Magnesium @ 1320 ppm, but I am not too sure about alkalinity. I know there is a wide accepted range but was hoping to get some opinions on an exact ideal level. I have a mixed reef which includes a ton of sps, lps, and zoanthids. I am also going to try to do more frequent water changes(Once every 2 weeks). Anyone recomend a percentage to change out. I have been slacking lately. I typically do a 25% water change every month and a half or so..I know what your thinking. I am trying to change my ways.

Why bother trying to keep good water parameters if you only do month and a half water changes? Get on the ball and get religious about doing weekly 10% water changes, then start trying to increase your calcium, alk, and ph.

You'll get lots of opinions on what is "best", but I would start with the parameters for natural sea water where there are reefs, which also varies from place to place.

Reefkeeping magazine has an article on parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

I shoot for a stable alkalinity between 10-11, and keep it that way with water changes and a calcium reactor.

Jon

So I decided to put more effort into keeping healthy water conditions. More specifically the level and ratio of calcium/magnesium/alkalinity. I was wondering what everyone else thinks is "ideal." I have set my goal as Calcium @ 420 ppm, Magnesium @ 1320 ppm, but I am not too sure about alkalinity. I know there is a wide accepted range but was hoping to get some opinions on an exact ideal level. I have a mixed reef which includes a ton of sps, lps, and zoanthids. I am also going to try to do more frequent water changes(Once every 2 weeks). Anyone recomend a percentage to change out. I have been slacking lately. I typically do a 25% water change every month and a half or so..I know what your thinking. I am trying to change my ways.

If you increase either the frequency or volumn of water changes, you may find a need to decrease dosing of certain elements.

If you stay constant on your water changes and monitor your levels things will grow. I do weekly water changes and let the kalk stirrer do its thing. I check my numbers once a month. Consistancy is the name of the game. I run my Ca a bit high around 450, Mag 1400 and Alk around 8.3 - 8.5. BUt I stay constant with water changes and Salinity. Remeber "Corals a primative animals and require only light, water and food" as stated by blue planet. ;)

If you stay constant on your water changes and monitor your levels things will grow. I do weekly water changes and let the kalk stirrer do its thing. I check my numbers once a month. Consistancy is the name of the game. I run my Ca a bit high around 450, Mag 1400 and Alk around 8.3 - 8.5. BUt I stay constant with water changes and Salinity. Remeber "Corals a primative animals and require only light, water and food" as stated by blue planet. ;)

Is there any specific reason for keeping your alk levels at 8.3 - 8.5?

You'll get a lot of opinions on this question. Your own opinion, too, will almost certainly evolve. Jon's advice is solid: Start with basic NSW parameters and go on from there. Here's what I run nowadays: Ca @ 440; Alk @ 10-11; Mg @ 1300 (unless I've pumped it up to 1600 for other reasons). I try to do 10% changes eveey week using IO supplemented to match these target levels.

There is some evidence that some corals grow faster at higher alk levels, but be advised that if you're dosing vodka, lower alk levels (e.g. 8) is recommended. There are reports of "burnt" SPS tips at higher alk levels.

What does everyone else aim for when it comes to alkalinity levels? And what product do you use to raise the alk..other than two parts and reactors? I heard baking soda in the oven..anything else?

(edited)
What does everyone else aim for when it comes to alkalinity levels? And what product do you use to raise the alk..other than two parts and reactors? I heard baking soda in the oven..anything else?

I've added baking soda to a barrel full of saltwater prior to a water change, but I've never added baking soda directly to the tank.

Here's another excellent article discussing alkalinity and the use of both baking soda and washing soda. The charts describing methods for adjusting alkalinity and calcium levels were later referenced in The Reef Aquarium Vol III. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm.

Jon

Edited by Jon Lazar