What pump and pump size should I get?

queloque

I need to make sure I buy the correct pump.

I have a 125 gallon with 2 overflows. 1 in each corner. the return pipe is 1 1/2 hard PVC.

My return will be pumping up from the 21 inch high sump, moving the water horizontally across the sump 4 feet, than another 2 or 3 feet before hitting a Tee that feeds up my return on the right side of the tank. Also moving another 6 feet to the left side of the tank and elbows up to the return on the left side of the tank.

Thanks

Based on what you said, I used the head loss calculator over on RC:

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

3.25 vertical feet

12.5 horizontal feet

1.5" pipe all the way

I took a guess at 4 90 deg turns and 2 outputs (pipe exits)

That puts your head loss at 5.19 feet assuming you get a pump that has a 1.5" output (Sequence dart comes to mind).

I would recommend a dart, but you can use the calculator I linked to above to put in your specific situation and choose your pump and see what the output rate is.

An Eheim 1250 would only give you 235 gph, so I think you have to go with an external pump. I would recommend the Iwaki, Pan World, and Sequence pumps.

Based on what you said, I used the head loss calculator over on RC:

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

3.25 vertical feet

12.5 horizontal feet

1.5" pipe all the way

I took a guess at 4 90 deg turns and 2 outputs (pipe exits)

That puts your head loss at 5.19 feet assuming you get a pump that has a 1.5" output (Sequence dart comes to mind).

I would recommend a dart, but you can use the calculator I linked to above to put in your specific situation and choose your pump and see what the output rate is.

An Eheim 1250 would only give you 235 gph, so I think you have to go with an external pump. I would recommend the Iwaki, Pan World, and Sequence pumps.

Agreed, dart would do nicely.

john

Save yourself a ton of money and space, by buying a MAG 18 or MAG 24 by Danner. Good, reliable, easy to clean and service.

Yeah, I was looking for a submersible because I don't want to drill a hole in the side of my sump for an external pump and yes the cost too.

On the Mag 18 the calculations come out to,

Total losses are 6.91 feet of head pressure, or 2.99 PSI. with a flow rate of 1089 GPH

Are those good numbers?

1000 gph for a 125= 8 times turnover per hour. That's plenty.

Yes, plenty of turnover. I'm not a fan of the mag pumps because of the noise and heat esp the bigger than a mag 12. Just my opinion.

(edited)
Yes, plenty of turnover. I'm not a fan of the mag pumps because of the noise and heat esp the bigger than a mag 12. Just my opinion.

What submersibles do you like? I've been reading about noise for the mag even though mine will not be under my tank but in a separate location.

Edited by queloque

What submersibles do you like? I've been reading about noise for the mag even though mine will not be under my tank but in a separate location.

The Eheim pumps are the only ones I like. Look at the 1262. It should produce about 634 gal/hr on your setup (about 40 l/min at 1m head).

And yes, all pumps generate heat and transfer it to the water. Submersibles do it more than external pumps and I think the mag pumps run hotter than the eheims. I use a mag 12 to mix water in a 44 gal brute trashcan. It easily heats the water to 85 degrees or so over the course of a day. When I used a mag 36, it would get well into the 90s.

(edited)
The Eheim pumps are the only ones I like. Look at the 1262. It should produce about 634 gal/hr on your setup (about 40 l/min at 1m head).

And yes, all pumps generate heat and transfer it to the water. Submersibles do it more than external pumps and I think the mag pumps run hotter than the eheims. I use a mag 12 to mix water in a 44 gal brute trashcan. It easily heats the water to 85 degrees or so over the course of a day. When I used a mag 36, it would get well into the 90s.

hmm. I have a chiller if the heat gets that bad. I'm just concerned about my horizontal length that I mentioned in the start of the post along with upflow and the water negotiation at my Tee and I don't know if that Eheim 1262 will be enough compared to the Mag 18.

Edited by queloque

First of all, are you trying to get all your in-tank flow through your return pump or are you planning on using any in-tank power heads?

Are you planning on having all of this return flow going to the display or are you going to use a manifold to split the return to other system elements (such as a refugium or frag tank)?

Do your really need or want this much flow through your sump? Will you have an in-line refugium or one on a separate circuit? Refugiums generally have a lot less flow than what you're describing (unless they're very, very large).

If you're planning on running all of this into your display, I'd be concerned that 1000 gallons per hour through 2 1-inch drains might be approaching their practical limit. One snail in a drain is all you'd need to have a big spill on your hands. Also, you may find yourself having to throttle the output of your return pump if all of it is going back into the display. That would be a waste of power and would generate more heat in many cases. (Some flow-biased pumps like the Dart are notable exceptions.)

Just some thoughts.

I only used a mag 9.5 on my 125 at it was enough. Just remember that the more water going in will mean more noise in the overflows as it exits.

(edited)
First of all, are you trying to get all your in-tank flow through your return pump or are you planning on using any in-tank power heads?

Are you planning on having all of this return flow going to the display or are you going to use a manifold to split the return to other system elements (such as a refugium or frag tank)?

Do your really need or want this much flow through your sump? Will you have an in-line refugium or one on a separate circuit? Refugiums generally have a lot less flow than what you're describing (unless they're very, very large).

If you're planning on running all of this into your display, I'd be concerned that 1000 gallons per hour through 2 1-inch drains might be approaching their practical limit. One snail in a drain is all you'd need to have a big spill on your hands. Also, you may find yourself having to throttle the output of your return pump if all of it is going back into the display. That would be a waste of power and would generate more heat in many cases. (Some flow-biased pumps like the Dart are notable exceptions.)

Just some thoughts.

- I'm trying to get all my inflow to the tank from the return pump.

- All going to the display from the return. No split except for the tee that negotiates between the left overflow and the right overflow

- Do I need or want that much overflow? I don't know? John at Blue Ribbon Koi suggested a Mag 18 based on what I described at the beginning of the post.

- If you are concerned about 1000 gallons are you suggesting Mag 12?

- throttling? I do have the ball valves at each return, I have pic posted

What do you think?

gallery_2631973_604_76227.jpg

gallery_2631973_604_42467.jpg

Edited by queloque

Save yourself a ton of money and space, by buying a MAG 18 or MAG 24 by Danner. Good, reliable, easy to clean and service.

+1. I used a MAG 18 for a long time on my former 125.

It is true they put a lot of heat in the water, but I'd still seriously consider using it.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)
- I'm trying to get all my inflow to the tank from the return pump.

- All going to the display from the return. No split except for the tee that negotiates between the left overflow and the right overflow

- Do I need or want that much overflow? I don't know? John at Blue Ribbon Koi suggested a Mag 18 based on what I described at the beginning of the post.

- If you are concerned about 1000 gallons are you suggesting Mag 12?

- throttling? I do have the ball valves at each return, I have pic posted

What do you think?

gallery_2631973_604_76227.jpg

gallery_2631973_604_42467.jpg

I would seriously think about what is going to be in the way when you go to adjust those valves.

Thats the first thing I thought of when looking at those valves. I put all my valves close to the top of the stand as I could just for that reason.

gallery_2631516_394_506346.jpg

gallery_2631516_394_595375.jpg

Edit: I so wish I had a basement...................

Edited by Vader