Re: Possible Bill that would change the pet industry as we know it, Bill HR ---

YBeNormal

Sorry guys and gals, I had to hide the original post and responses regarding pending legislation that may or may not affect us and the pet industry. Guidelines for our nonprofit status specifically forbids lobbying for or against any political candidate, legislation, etc.

Bob,

I find that sad.

This is stuff that could literally kill this industry / hobby.

As in, if this happens the way it is written now, NONE of us have an aquarium 3 or 4 years from now. All the LFSs are gone, my business is dead, no more sponsor vendors, no frag trading... none of it. Granted, I think the odds are VERY VERY long that this will go through. But, I think telling people what is being proposed, education and helping / advancing the industry / hobby is exactly what WAMAS is about.

My 2 cents.

Edited by Grav

Didn't Anthony Calfo talk about this sort of thing at a recent meeting? It happened to the exotic reptile and bird industry. It's why we need to support domestic aquaculture efforts.

I'm not a tax attorney but I have run other 501( c ) 3 organizations in the past. Bob is correct in that WAMAS can not be a vehicle to lobby for/against pending legislation. However, it CAN educate the public regarding pending legislation. See here: http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=163392,00.html

Basically, we can (and in my opinion should) have a thread which discusses this legislation. However it should clearly state up front that no posts regarding how someone should vote will be tolerated. In other words, people can't post "Call your congressman and tell them to kill HRXXX".

Edited by DaveS

Didn't Anthony Calfo talk about this sort of thing at a recent meeting? It happened to the exotic reptile and bird industry. It's why we need to support domestic aquaculture efforts.

Yes, he did.

could someone tell me a bit about this new legislation?

i only saw the post after bob edited it.....

from your replies it sounds pretty bad.....

My understanding is, that as it is currently written, there is no distinction between domestic captive raise non-native and wild caught non-native.

My understanding is, that as it is currently written, there is no distinction between domestic captive raise non-native and wild caught non-native.

In fact... it appears to make it illegal to 'breed' nonnative species. i.e. - I could be fined every time one of my corals made a new polyp, and the new polyps could be confiscated.

I'm not too worried, though - there are only about 1,000 species of coral. How long could it possibly take, and how much could it cost to run a full check on each of them to ensure they aren't harmful if released into Lake Michigan? I figure only about $5,000 and 6 months for each. So for $5 million, in 50 years, we'd be good to go again.

bob

I think they are more worried about those species going out to the wild, ie african bees, lionfish in sc? (not sure lol)

but if you release those fish in the wild here except in fl, they will most likely die.....

I think they are more worried about those species going out to the wild, ie african bees, lionfish in sc? (not sure lol)

but if you release those fish in the wild here except in fl, they will most likely die.....

This is the problem with such legislation - it is designed to keep out species which may live in the wild. But the approach is to ban everything, until proven safe. There are already laws to ban animals which are known to be unsafe. And they are trying to cover a HUGE area. Releasing my Indian Ocean corals into the waters of Hawaii is completely different from releasing them into the waters off Maine. Will I have to prove that it would be safe in every single state and territory? That's rather prohibitive, cost-wise.

bob

I just saw a YouTube clip that has an interesting take on this issue.

Search for: "Pets in Peril (politicians gone wild) HR669"