Coldwater with a New Lens

dshnarw

New macro lens - Sigma 150mm f/2.8 :biggrin:

Decided to give it a try with my 2x teleconverter, and came up with these from the coldwater tank...

beadlets:

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3267.jpg

strawberries:

IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3260.jpg

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3273.jpg

IMG_3278.jpg

you really suck - too flipping good - help me out with April's totm please.

I SUCK!!!!!

lol, sorry man. just keep reminding yourself that aquariums are one of the most difficult subjects out there ;)

a friend on nano-reef is in the process of writing an article on aquarium photography. if you want, i'll send you the link (or post a link somewhere?) when he finishes it.

Dan,

The pictures look great. I have the Sigma 105mm macro. Does the 2x teleconverter just screw on the end of the lens? Looks like it did a pretty good job.

thanks guys

Dan,

The pictures look great. I have the Sigma 105mm macro. Does the 2x teleconverter just screw on the end of the lens? Looks like it did a pretty good job.

it attaches like an extension tube - goes between the lens and the camera body. i should start using the tripod to really show off how nice it can be.

VERY nice for getting closer in on stuff in the back of the tank - can still get that 1:1 macro with a working distance of 30 inches for the Sigma 150, somewhere close to 20 inches for the Sigma 105. and, of course, 2:1 macro shots are pretty neat :)

Thanks!

More photos...

Same setup as the last ones, but I walked my lazy butt to the car and got the tripod this time.

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3310.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3317.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg

Okay... that does it... what kind of camera do you have that lens on??

bob

canon rebel xsi :biggrin:

but it's all in the lens, any Canon/Nikon with that lens would make some awesome photos ;)

(edited)
canon rebel xsi :biggrin:

but it's all in the lens, any Canon/Nikon with that lens would make some awesome photos ;)

I have a Pentax SLR available - but that lens wouldn't fit it. I think I need to get a beeger camera!

Way back when film was used in cameras (some of you youngsters might not understand) - I had a couple of Pentax Spotmatics. I had every lens and extender known to man. I took photographs, vice snapshots. Those are photographs - and now I miss taking them. You know... spiders that fit with perfect detail on a sheet of 18x24??

Believe it or not, Ripley... I have an enlarger... paper... developer... safelite... used to do some of my best work in a dark room.

But what sold me is the pictures of the strawberry anemone's... I took - a reasonable estimate 70 pictures of my strawberry anemones with my auto-focus camera. I could NEVER get a decent picture. No matter the distance, angle, settings... I kept shooting, because I couldn't believe I couldn't get a decent picture! The camera thought they were invisible, or something. And then last week - the first 'limpet' to ever appear in my display tank showed up on the front glass. And I couldn't shoot that, either! So... I'm off to the camera shop this weekend!

Thanks!

bob

Edited by lanman

New macro lens - Sigma 150mm f/2.8 :biggrin:

Decided to give it a try with my 2x teleconverter, and came up with these from the coldwater tank...

beadlets:

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3267.jpg

strawberries:

IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3260.jpg

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3273.jpg

IMG_3278.jpg

THAT's THE ANEMONE IN MY TANK!!! What is it? OMG, WOW, these are absolutely gorgeous. Will you be selling prints? I'll buy.

THAT's THE ANEMONE IN MY TANK!!! What is it? OMG, WOW, these are absolutely gorgeous. Will you be selling prints? I'll buy.

:laugh:

You have a tropical Corynactis species. Common names include: Strawberry anemone, club-tipped anemone, beaded anemone (not to be confused with beadlet anemones which are the larger red and striped anemones in my photos), or Cory by some groups. Most of the info on them is on the temperate species in my photos, Corynactis californica. Care info for the Corynactis are all essentially the same, except in temperature requirements (C. californica being the sole temperate species available to aquarists).

Thanks for your compliments. I do/will sell photos if you're interested (selling photos is my source of income for new camera gear) :)